1997-05-23 - Re: Key Recovery / The True Story

Header Data

From: Ernest Hua <hua@chromatic.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 99c06295b067692baba7b2e8f53d62fbbbfbb88831e0b951df3fd276faac1802
Message ID: <199705232059.NAA13536@krypton.chromatic.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 05:31:56 +0800

Raw message

From: Ernest Hua <hua@chromatic.com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 05:31:56 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Key Recovery / The True Story

> And some government spook is going to break into a church's computer
> to find out if they are secret terrorists because they oppose this
> or that government policy.

This is an interesting point on which very little serious debate is
taking place:

    Is it EVER okay for spooks to break into a church's computer to
    find out if they are secret terrorists?

I'm not sure the answer is clearly one way or another, and I am
willing to bet that the tone of the answers will mostly be emotional
appeals to some idealistic standard or pessimistic nightmares.

A meta question is whether the answer to a question like this one
above can be answer strictly through a "for all practical purposes it
would never affect me so it does not matter" answer.

Ern

--
Ernest Hua, Software Sanitation Engineer/Chief Cut And Paste Officer
Chromatic Research, 615 Tasman Drive, Sunnyvale, CA 94089-1707

--
Ernest Hua, Software Sanitation Engineer/Chief Cut And Paste Officer
Chromatic Research, 615 Tasman Drive, Sunnyvale, CA 94089-1707
Phone: 408 752-9375, Fax: 408 752-9301, E-Mail: hua@chromatic.com

--
Ernest Hua, Software Sanitation Engineer/Chief Cut And Paste Officer
Chromatic Research, 615 Tasman Drive, Sunnyvale, CA 94089-1707
Phone: 408 752-9375, Fax: 408 752-9301, E-Mail: hua@chromatic.com

Thread