1997-05-20 - A little list… [Re: Jim Bell goes to Jail!]

Header Data

From: “Peter Trei” <trei@process.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: b618c8c60c8539127ac23fbf801ec35af52259728dd66de13e7a64de9bce1e47
Message ID: <199705201349.GAA12194@rigel.cyberpass.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 21:59:47 +0800

Raw message

From: "Peter Trei" <trei@process.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 21:59:47 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: A little list... [Re: Jim Bell goes to Jail!]

DCF writes:
>At 09:12 PM 5/18/97 -0700, Alan Olsen wrote:
>>Some of his statements could have been taken as advocating the killing of
>>federal employees of various sorts.  The question is whether he actually
>>tried
>>to arrange it in real life.  (Which I doubt.)
>In the U.S., it is legal to advocate killing anyone except Clinton and his
>family and maybe the veep.
>DCF

While I think AP is appalling (I regard all premeditated killing as
unacceptable, whether committed by the state or individuals), the
following might be fun:

Set up a web page which collects names of 'people you'd like to see
hit by a bus'. This is a poll, not AP - no money is involved, and
there is no suggestion that these desires be carried into action.
Allow people to anonymously add their vote to names already on the list,
or nominate new ones themselves.

While there is the possibility of abuse (someone sets up a 'bot to
nominate their ex-wife 10,000 times), clearly you would not want to
try to keep track of who voted for who.

I expect we'd see The Usual Suspects, and a lot of people who are
known in only limited spheres (sports figures, widely disliked
bosses and CEOs). There would also be many individuals with a
single vote against them, and a lot of people notorious only on the
net.

One refinement might be to display names only for people with some
threshold of strikes against them - say 20 votes. Another would be
to allow people to register both 'yea' or 'nay' on names on the
list.

I don't have a facilities to set this up myself, so don't ask me.
If someone else does it, I hope they check to see of there are
any legal implications.

Peter Trei
trei@process.com
---------------------------
[

KOKO (the newly appointed Grand High Executioner):
I am happy to think that there will be no difficulty in finding
plenty of people whose loss will be a distinct gain to society at
large.

             SONG--KO-KO with CHORUS OF MEN.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
     I've got a little list--I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
     And who never would be missed--who never would be missed!
There's the pestilential nuisances who write for autographs--
All people who have flabby hands and irritating laughs--
All children who are up in dates, and floor you with 'em flat--
All persons who in shaking hands, shake hands with you like
     that--
And all third persons who on spoiling tete-a-tetes insist--
     They'd none of 'em be missed--they'd none of 'em be missed!
etc....

Gilbert & Sullivan, "The Mikado"

]

Thread