1997-05-19 - Re: Jim Bell goes to Jail!

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: Alan Olsen <mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
Message Hash: b89f3c5d52fac51cb740ccd8d4dd5a1e94b7d37570d44dd5ee8d0030a1f9c3cb
Message ID: <v03007800afa59738ec88@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <199705190341.UAA17427@netcom18.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-19 05:13:40 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 13:13:40 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 13:13:40 +0800
To: Alan Olsen <mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
Subject: Re: Jim Bell goes to Jail!

At 8:12 PM -0800 5/18/97, Alan Olsen wrote:

>>I can't imagine how one would get the carbon fiber into the
>>interior of the drive.
>
>Neither can I.  Maybe it was supposed to short out the electronics.  Imagine
>what that would do to your lungs!  Youch!

Attacking electronics with conductive fibers is an old idea. (Not to sound
like a grumpy old man, but I recall discussions of this at the conferences
in Albuqueurque and Seattle I attended for Intel in the late 70s.)

I understand that carbon fibers were dropped on Iraqi systems during the
Gulf War.

If the government narcs in Portland are damning Bell for playing around
with the work done on this area, even including obtaining carbon fibers,
this'll be thrown out (I predict).

"Plans to destroy the Net thwarted!" is the headline they want to see.

--Tim May

>The IRS seems to have overstepped a little in this case...  The sealed
>warrents are an attempt to keep it from being examined in more detail.

If the "cyber-journalists" who write puff pieces on how great SAFE is are
out there, they ought to be giving this front page coverage.

(Wouldn't a better use of AP be to target AP, so to speak?)

--Tim May