1997-05-07 - Re: Banking Secrecy and Nazi Gold

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: c148ae10ea19fb513c15b03885af49e4b1d0a46feee99287e6ea1bb6935aa8de
Message ID: <v03007802af96a610ba69@[207.167.93.63]>
Raw Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 04:51:32 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 04:51:32 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Banking Secrecy and Nazi Gold

Someone sent me private mail about my post, and suggested that Swiss
bankers have historically had close ties to the Swiss government, e.g, most
are reserve officers in the Swiss military. He also suggested that
Switzerland is more of a police state than many realize. Here is my reply:

I don't argue otherwise. Likewise, Monaco is a video surveillance state,
with hundreds of cameras scattered in hidden locations throughout that tiny
place. Neither are places I'd want to live.

But the deposits of the 1930s-40s are ancient history. As I said, I see the
current foofaw as being political. (Just as the Kurt Waldheim thing was
political, in that Israel, the U.S., and many other states knew of
Waldheim's war record and chose to exploit the knowledge rather than reveal
it.)

If the U.S. forces the illegal gains to be "given back," mightn't the
fortune Joe Kennedy amasses as a rum runner be seized? The Kennedy clan
made its considerable fortune through outlaw activities, even to the
(probable) point of buying the '60 election (Illinois, as I'm sure you
know).

(Not suggesting rum running = extermination of Jews. Far from it. But the
notion of going back to events of 50-60 years ago, when ignored in the
intervening decades, must always be scrutinized for real intentions.)

Lastly, I really wish you'd make more of your comments in a public way, so
that my responses can be public.

--Tim