1997-05-08 - Re: US Citizens doing crypto work overseas

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
To: cmcurtin@research.megasoft.com
Message Hash: df7f0137c3408e4b6f928b07dfaba24dc670e3fcebf7e3eaa66eddaf92c1fa3d
Message ID: <199705081130.HAA21761@homeport.org>
Reply To: <199705071826.OAA18201@goffette.research.megasoft.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-08 11:58:48 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 19:58:48 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 19:58:48 +0800
To: cmcurtin@research.megasoft.com
Subject: Re: US Citizens doing crypto work overseas

	It depends if they're willing to add a clause guaranteeing
legal fees.  (And have the appropriate size to do so in a convincing
way.)  With legal fees spoken for, many Americans do work overseas.

	Its all a matter of the US government not wanting to take on a
well funded legal team to try and claim that Americans can't speak to
furriners.  They much prefer mild mannered nuclear activists with a
large mortgage and a family to feed.  They're easier to beat up.

Adam

C Matthew Curtin wrote:
| Does anyone have any idea how extensive the legal entaglements might
| be for a US Citizen to accept work overseas developing crypto software
| for a foreign company?
|
| Someone at a company in Australia is interested in hiring some
| crypto-clued folks, and has asked me if it's even worth pursuing
| any US citizens.

					               -Hume

Thread