1997-05-18 - Re: http://www.dataet.com/public/source/vsacmv20/

Header Data

From: JKYuRamos@aol.com
To: landon_dyer@wayfarer.com
Message Hash: e0fa189c940ce8ea2fae78af2321ec3cd282426f127d250f5bc391bcd425e386
Message ID: <970517140349-962654051@emout04.mail.aol.com>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1997-05-18 01:16:33 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 09:16:33 +0800

Raw message

From: JKYuRamos@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 09:16:33 +0800
To: landon_dyer@wayfarer.com
Subject: Re: http://www.dataet.com/public/source/vsacmv20/

<<   no insults or bashing, i promise

   the use of the built-in Random function looks scary.  my five minute
 overview of the code may have missed some cleverness (or i may have missed
 your own implementation of Random).  i am not a cryptographer, and can't
 comment much more on the actual encryption algorithms you're using

   from an engineering standpoint: i assume that you stripped the comments
 out before posting the source

   from a legal standpoint: you should probably yank the source code off
 of your site.  i am not a lawyer, but making this stuff downloadable from
 outside the US is risky >>

Hi. Sorry, actually, I regret that the code was developed with no inline
comments. Yes, you probably did skim over some essential code. Also, again,
the pseudo-random number generator is NOT the only method used to encrypt a
file. In fact, the pseudo-random number generator code could have been left
out to some extent. I have also specified that that no one who is not in the
U.S. may access the source code, but if no one cracks the file located at
http://www.dataet.com/public/source/vsacmv20/crackit.dat by June 20th, 1997,
I'll have to assume that VSA2048 is an extremely secure encryption algorithm,
and I will consider having the source code removed from the site.

Regards,

Jeremy Yu-Ramos
DataET Research

Host: DataET Research (http://www.dataet.com)
Contest expiration date: June 20th, 1997
Encrypted file location:
http://www.dataet.com/public/source/vsacmv20/crackit.dat
Applied encryption algorithm: VSA2048
Encryption algorithm source code:
http://www.dataet.com/public/source/vsacmv20/
Applied key size: 120 bits (15 bytes)
Encrypted (secured) file size: 836 bytes
Decrypted (unsecured) file size: 836 bytes
Hints: No message hints available
Key and message post location: cypherpunks@toad.com
Contact: info@dataet.com
Limitations: U.S. residents only
Prize: FREE basic Web site package & apology posted to cypherpunks@toad.com &
discontinuation of VSA2048-based products

CRACKIT.DAT file statistics:

Type: Binary (Intel)
Characters: 836
Mode: 179