1997-05-12 - The Interlinked Cypherpunks Lists?

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@algebra.com
Message Hash: ee8094ca1e083eb65b9568dcf2f8a28fc5ffc068af41cd1d0c4436eab3760a06
Message ID: <v03007800af9d068330c1@[207.167.93.63]>
Raw Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 01:02:42 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 01:02:42 +0800
To: cypherpunks@algebra.com
Subject: The Interlinked Cypherpunks Lists?

I've recently had some of my articles sent to "cypherpunks@cyberpass.net"
bounce (more precisely: "<cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>... Deferred:
Connection timed out with rigel.cyberpass.net. Warning: message still
undelivered after 4 hours").

And I've received no Cypherpunks list traffic more recently dated than
Saturday morning. (I'm subscribed to cypherpunks@cyberpass.net.)

I surmise that something is wrong. So I've subscribed to one of the
alternates, cypherpunks@algebra.com.

Some thoughts:

* Is it possible for the interlinked lists to send out announcements of
list problems to subscriber of all such lists? (Each list owner could do a
periodic "who cypherpunks" of the other lists, then use this list to send a
message if a problem comes up. More sophisticated cross-processing could
eliminate duplicates, etc.)

* Alternatively, if one of the sites goes down, such as
"cypherpunks@cyberpass.net" seems to have done, could the other sites
automagically pick up the task of distributing articles until the site
comes back up?

* How feasible is it to have a single "virtual subscription address" which
gets traffic from one of the various list sites? (To avoid having to
subscribe to two or more lists and thus getting duplicates.)

I'll resubmit a few of my recent articles to cypherpunks@algebra.com.

--Tim May