1997-05-19 - Re: Jim Bell goes to Jail!

Header Data

From: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: f74c2a489719fe52cc59aa268578386fa6b731100738afa03e69ee7919a114f7
Message ID: <3.0.32.19970519000650.0075509c@netcom13.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 15:27:09 +0800

Raw message

From: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 15:27:09 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Jim Bell goes to Jail!

At 09:12 PM 5/18/97 -0700, Alan Olsen wrote:

>It is interesting that they have kept the warrent sealed.  This, more than
>anything makes me question the legitamacy of the whole affair.  Sounds like
>the IRS is planning a preemptive strike on the Common Law Courts and the
>people behind them.

There are two reasons I can think of immediately why the feds would keep
the warrant sealed. The first is that they don't want to reveal just how
little evidence they have. The second reason is that the warrant might give
some clue as to future actions/other suspects. Remember that the IRS agent
found the AP essay by means of an Internet search engine. That almost
certainly means he is following the discussions about Jim Bell on the Net.
Such as the discussion on Cypherpunks.

It must be truly frightening to this person to read some of the threads on
this list. Nerve gas, C4, race-specific biological weapons, bypassing
airport security systems, not to mention money laundering and tax evasion,
what hasn't been discussed here?

The feds may not be aware that the discussions on this list are usually of
a theoretical nature. Perhaps they decided to go after the
"co-conspirators". Like the anarchists in California with their AR-15's who
have so many mags that they can't even  remember where they all are. :-)

The fact that Jim is held _without bail_ would indicate to me that there is
more going on than might meet the eye.

-- Lucky Green <mailto:shamrock@netcom.com> PGP encrypted mail preferred

   "I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and
    violence, I would advise violence." Mahatma Gandhi

Thread