1997-05-27 - I am allowed one message (was: List problems or is it quiet???)

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@algebra.com
Message Hash: fac070a756d048a661d294916b2c75953dbbeff9614ef901ed89504228c988a9
Message ID: <v03102800afb0c3d3add4@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.91.970527144732.2499A-100000@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-27 17:31:33 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 01:31:33 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 01:31:33 +0800
To: cypherpunks@algebra.com
Subject: I am allowed one message  (was: List problems or is it quiet???)

At 2:52 PM +0000 5/27/97, root wrote:

>I have checked the cypherpunks archive following my comment that I was
>not getting much mail from the list (only 8 to 10 posts per day) over the
>last 2 or 3 days, and the archive confirms this. Igor and Jim have
>confirmed that algebra and ssz are up, and cyberpass is reponding to
>majordomo requests...
>
>I`m just sending this to check that this really is not a list problem, as
>of course 10 posts a day is an uncommonly low traffic level for the list.
>
>Unless of course the black clad ninja`s have come round on 4am nomex
>hooded raids, and you are all in the ministry of love being questioned
>over allegations of thoughtcrime, which would explain the lack of posts
>;-)......

Many of us are only being allowed *one message* (used to be one phone call,
but now it's one message in any medium, except smoke signals, which are
banned by the Clean Air Act, like all forms of smoke generation).

So, this is my message.

I'm doing OK. The food stinks, but my reeducation is going well. I now
understand the need to reeductate dissidents such as I once was: an orderly
society cannot tolerate constant clamoring for so-called free speech. The
First, Second, and other Amendments must be interpreted in their true light.

And to read them precisely, they prominently say "Congress shall make no
law..." about their respective areas. Well, the Executitive Branch is most
definitely not Congress, so the Executitive Decision Orders and
Presidential Decision Directives which have allowed me to see the errors of
my ways are most defininitely not violations of the "Congress shall make no
law" language.

And National Security Decision Directive which abolished freedom on the
Net, NSDD-666,  has the full faith and backing of many major government
agencies, including the Federal Communications Commission, the Federal
Emergency Preparedness Agency, the National Health Agency, the Internal
Security Agency, the National Surveillance Authority, and of course the
Thought Police.

As the Secretary of Media Declan McCullagh put it so accurately before
assuming his current duties: "We must learn to censor ourselves, or the
government will have to do it for us."

In my several days at the People's Job Training and Rest Center, I have
learned that I really and truly and completely do love Big Brother.

--Winston Smith, Job Trainee #227-90-2389

Thread