1997-06-22 - Re: The Global Fix is In

Header Data

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
To: Mix <mixmaster@remail.obscura.com>
Message Hash: 1c1cb111480944effc0e0232b5ec2e6e1c1f0393d5bc3982e135f210b5402984
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.970622115344.593A-100000@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Reply To: <199706212159.OAA07925@sirius.infonex.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-22 16:19:37 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 00:19:37 +0800

Raw message

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 00:19:37 +0800
To: Mix <mixmaster@remail.obscura.com>
Subject: Re: The Global Fix is In

> You can't go underground if cryptography is illegal.  You don't have remailers,
> so you can't be anonymous.  You don't have crypto, so anyone can see what
> you're doing online.  It doesn't work.

No,

It is not difficult to find somewhere (Anguilla?) where remailers and
cryptography are far less likely to be restricted than elsewhere, the US
knows the pointlessness of trying to enforce proxy censorship services,
so does most everywhere else since the XS4ALL fiasco, there is no way
they can stop US citizens sending mail through mixmasters in say
Anguilla, or some other small independent country, for example IOM.

> People are tired.  We win one battle, and have to begin again with another.
> But that's the way it works.  Look at the political battles which have gone on
> for decades: gun control, abortion, environmentalism, many more.  You have
> to be in this for the long haul.  You have to fight every step of the way.

I agree, but you don`t realise that once cryptography is spread far
enough there can be no restricting it`s use. The law is an ass.

I think that finally the poloticians in D.C, London, Berlin and all the
other major capitals have caught on, and realised that open availability
of anonymity, security and strong crypto can only lead to crypto anarchy,
they are *scared*, this time they are no longer do-gooding idiots, they
are out to cover their own backs...

        Datacomms Technologies data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul@crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul@cryptography.uk.eu.org