1997-06-20 - It’s not over

Header Data

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 4583aaffdf12007eacf898ff817769c3590f2670380f96de5b18cc58e3d8fcba
Message ID: <199706202210.AAA28568@basement.replay.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 06:17:40 +0800

Raw message

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 06:17:40 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: It's not over

Let's cut all the doom and gloom here.  The bill isn't passed yet.  It's
got to go through at least one and possibly two more committees before
it reaches the senate floor, where we'll have another chance to defeat it.

Even then the house has to pass similar legislation.  That will be yet another
chance.

When Clipper was proposed, a wave of anger and opposition swept forth.
The same thing needs to happen now.  This fatalism is self defeating.

Either you're part of the solution or you're part of the problem.  People who
say there's no use fighting, who give up, who oppose the efforts of the
crypto lobbying groups in the name of ideological purity, are not part of
the solution.  They have no right to complain if this law passes.  By
sitting aside and carping at the efforts of those who are trying to stop this
kind of legislation, they are only helping to bring it about.

There is no reason this new bill should be any more acceptable or more
successful than Clipper was.  We only have to fight it.

Thread