1997-06-15 - Blackmail / Re: e$: Skins vs. Shirts

Header Data

From: lucifer@dhp.com (lucifer Anonymous Remailer)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4ca2dd9db33b23e801065ade62975e95f61c80ffd48feb86e821f063e8668bbe
Message ID: <199706151846.OAA09246@dhp.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 03:04:38 +0800

Raw message

From: lucifer@dhp.com (lucifer Anonymous Remailer)
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 03:04:38 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Blackmail / Re: e$: Skins vs. Shirts

Tim May wrote:
> At 1:26 AM -0700 6/15/97, Tom Weinstein wrote:
>
> >Just to be clear, we didn't give the blackmailer any money.  As Mike
> >Homer put it: "We don't bargain with terrorists."

> (What the Danes offered was a straight buiness deal, albeit made weirder
> and more frantic by the constraints of time, publicity, and worldwide
> attention. Still a business deal, though. When Collabra wanted X dollars to
> be acquired by Netscape, was this also "terrorism"? The term "terrorist"
> hardly applies in business deals.)

  As Tim almost points out, people who use their own time, resources
and money to examine your product and discover weaknesses in it which
can be corrected in order to make it a better product hardly qualify
as blackmailers (unless a company considers that their in-house QA
staff is "blackmailing" them to receive a salary).

  (Pay attention, Netscape--major CLUE coming up...)
  It is not the consumer or user's job to keep track of what the
company who produces the software deems to be "proper" use of the
product they have bought. Likewise, it is not the job of computer
analysts and researchers to search out the flaws in a profitable
software and give away their knowledge so that the producer of
the software can maintain or increase their profits.
  If the people who discovered the flaw had wanted they could have
chosen to sell their knowledge to Microsoft for probably a very
substantial sum.
  Can you imagine the embarassing position Netscape would be in
if Bill Gates made a press announcement about the Netscape flaw
and informed the public that a "Netscape fix" was available at
microsoft.com?

TruthMonger

Thread