1997-06-12 - Photo ID is not needed for key signings….

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 52e9778ce64f15f0a1387aa326fc7d361b46d02186f35d5baf606d5a75b18a62
Message ID: <v03102802afc52bfb5491@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <199706112323.QAA12560@peregrine.eng.sun.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-12 04:44:31 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 12:44:31 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 12:44:31 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Photo ID is not needed for key signings....

["cypherpunks-announce@toad.com" deleted as that is really not a list for
discussions.]

At 4:23 PM -0700 6/11/97, Ed Falk wrote:

>Hi all; I haven't seen the agenda yet, but if there is time & interest,
>I would be willing to organize a PGP key-signing party.
>
>Signify interest by mailing your key -- or a pointer to it -- to me
>by Friday.  Come to the c'punks meeting with photo ID and your PGP
>fingerprint.

"Sigh." Why do people persist in thinking that a photo ID is useful for PGP
keysignings?

I view a keysigning as saying that the person I know as "Lucky Green" is
asking me to sign the key he presents as his key, not whether Missouri
issued him a driver's license in that name, nor whether the company he
worked for in Munich issued him a photo ID under than name.

This is what the "web of trust" is all about.  It is _not_ about True Names
as proved by photo IDs.

(However, for those lacking photo IDs sufficient for Ed's purposes, I'm
asking Eric Hughes (not his True Name) if I can borrow his badge laminator.
I'll set it up outside the keysigning room. Bring a photo of some sort and
I'll make you a Yoyodyne Corporation employee badge.)

--Tim May (not his True Name)