1997-06-19 - Re: INFORMATION

Header Data

From: “David Downey” <digital_matrix@hotmail.com>
To: alan@ctrl-alt-del.com
Message Hash: 65c238ea164af4652299e4d543a9b31eadb00992fff0021ce411778c6162ab92
Message ID: <199706190656.XAA27541@f34.hotmail.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 15:15:11 +0800

Raw message

From: "David Downey" <digital_matrix@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 15:15:11 +0800
To: alan@ctrl-alt-del.com
Subject: Re: INFORMATION

Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 22:13:25 -0700
To: twinsvideo@infosel.net.mx
From: Alan Olsen <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com>
Cc: cypherpunks@toad.com
Sender: owner-cypherpunks@cyberpass.net

At 06:46 PM 6/18/97 PDT, twinsvideo@infosel.net.mx wrote:

>donn't think that i'm lame or somthin' but i realy need information on
how
to hack so, could you please tell me how to hack
>and what do i need in order to hack.

I suggest really strong turkish cigarettes.  Smoke them constantly and
soon
you will be hacking before you know it.

>don't worry i won't get into trouble.

Depends on the age of tobacco purchace in your state.  You might have to
get into High School before trying the above method.

>please hurry it's urgent.

That is what they all say...

Hacking is something that you learn on your own. While there are a few
folks that will show you the ropes, you have to learn on your own.
Knowledge is precious, and even more so when you gain it through your
own bllod sweat and tears.  I hope you really mean hacking, and NOT
cracking. There are many of us in the hacking community that are ticked
off because the media and the government have lumped us hackers in with
the Crackers. Crackers are folks that enter systems for no other reason
that malicous damage of systems and vital infromation. These folks are
usually punk kids out to romp around Cyberspace doing damage for kicks.
There are professional crackers but are usually hired by governments and
major corporations for either "NAtional Security" reasons or plain old
Corporate espianage. Hackers on the other hand, are folks that believe
in the free exchange and flow of information, and yearn for knowledge.
While they occationally do break into systems, it is usually only for
the challenge of doing so and NOT with the intent of causing damage.
Most hackers that enter systems, will usually clean up after themselves
after merely looking around the system for awhile just to see what is
there with no intent to cause harm, only making modifications to logs
and passwd files to clear traces of their entry. They NEVER damage files
intentionally and that is a MAJOR no no with most folks in the real
hacking community. Some hackers even go so far as to tell they System
Administrators of the systems they enter that they did so, and how they
did it so the Admins may plug the holes.  Unfortunately, the government
and the media have placed us within the same catagories as the
Darksiders. I, for one, do hope you are a hacker and not trying to
become a cracker.