1997-06-10 - Response to “My War”

Header Data

From: se7en <se7en@dis.org>
To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 7dc06b00caffdafaeaebb607b6a45c61ce6ac24e5dc719fcbbe4e8a91f6b56d1
Message ID: <Pine.BSI.3.91.970609220733.12873a-100000@kizmiaz.dis.org>
Raw Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 13:16:23 +0800

Raw message

From: se7en <se7en@dis.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 13:16:23 +0800
To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Response to "My War"

I have been away for most of the day, and came home to see I hit a
sensitive spot in one way or another with many people. I tried to respond
to many people who sent me private messages, but for some strange ass
reason all of my mail is bouncing as "host unknown." I am quite sure
aol.com exists. So I am going to try and respond to much of it here.

In my long rant, I realized the message was getting too long, and
paraphrased some of my larger thoughts. I figured everyone would know
what I was trying to get at, but I was wrong. To clarify a few points,
before I get to the debate:

I was not advocating the destruction of servers that are used by large
numbers of people. I was thinking of the terminology used by the people
trading...fserv/ftp servers, many of which are virtual to their desktops
which can be shut on and off at will by them as desired. My reference to
destruction of servers fit this definition. I don't want to affect large
numbers of innocent users to get the few scumbags out there. That is not
acceptable. Precision strikes yes, not mass strikes for the "greater
good." That is asinine.

Nor was I attempting, as some did point out, to be some sort of "ring
leader" in this crusade. I do not plan to organize some large anti-kiddie
porn team. I plan on spending a few hours a week, on my own, identifying
active participants in this activity. I plan on gathering logs of various
types of activity to justify my actions. I plan on taking action which
will affect only these individuals. I will make public postings on my own
accord to various places on the Internet (dc-stuff WILL NOT be one of these
places).

These are things I am doing on my own. If others would like to join the
effort, I would ask they do the same thing. Spend a few hours a week in
their world to identify the traders and do what you do best to either
wreck them or make things a serious hassle for them to continue. I do not
want a personal strike team to organize and manage.

As far as freedom of speech goes, sorry guys, it does not cover activities
which violate the rights of others. Someone does not have the right to fuck
a four-year-old girl in the ass, take pictures of it, and then scan it and
upload it to the Internet. No one has the right to force a six year old
girl to suck his dick until cum is running down her face, take pictures
of the whole thing, and, once again, upload it to the Internet. This is
not covered. Go back to school if you think it is.

Anyone who thinks this doesn't affect the young children, you are wrong.
I doubt these children consented to the sexual activity. I doubt they
consented to being photographed. I doubt they consented to the pictures
being distributed to others. I am sure this affects the
emotional/psychological state of the child victim in many ways beyond
what most of us can understand. I think we can all agree that is creates
a less-than-optimal psychological state in the children.

I know my actions are themselves illegal. I am not going to try to
morally justify it with comments such as "It's for the greater good," or
"What they are doing is more illegal than hacking." I know my actions
against these people are illegal, and many for good reason. It is
destruction of property. I am honest enough to admit I will be breaking
laws. At least I don't try to rationalize it behind some strange,
twisted sense of logic.

I am not here to force my morals on anyone. If you agree with me, fine.
If you have the ability to do something about it, fine. If you disagree,
fine. I have had some disagreements against my email/plan/whatever. I
have read evry single one of them. I do not hate those who disagree with me.
I see the logic in their arguments. I actually encourage it, as it helps
me to define what I plan to do better.

Everyone has the right to say what they want, whether they agree or not.
That includes me, that includes you. This, of course, as long as it doesn't
violate the more fundamental rights of others. Agree with me? Yes. Disagree
with me? Yes. Distribute child porn. No!

On an interesting note, in instances where I have talked one-on-one with law
enforcement agencies in the past, I have thrown several hypothetical cases
their way to judge their reaction: (A small glimpse of my Defcon speech)

ME: "If I entered a system without authorization and poked around a left,
would you arrest me?"
THEM: "No. We don't have the time or resources for that. We aren't
interested in the people who look around without causing damage despite
what everyone thinks."

ME: "If I entered a system without authorization and destroyed it, would
you arrest me."
THEM: "Most definitely."

ME: "If I was at Defcon and entered a system without authorization that
was dedicated to the distribution of child pornography and destroyed it,
and you were looking over my shoulder the whole time and saw what I did,
would you arrest me?"
THEM" "I would turn around and walk away."

se7en

Thread