1997-06-23 - Re: Child Porn 3 [JPG]

Header Data

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 80746e518e60fa407c3c3fc53b180f7a7bade4ae91c740074671dc77385fce48
Message ID: <199706232001.VAA01882@server.test.net>
Reply To: <199706231803.OAA12416@dhp.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-23 23:27:25 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 07:27:25 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 07:27:25 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Child Porn 3 [JPG]

The anonymous porn protagonist writes:

> Here, yet again, is the same Time-Life child pornography picture, which
> is encrypted with the public keys of people I don't know from squat.
> Nonetheless, they are now co-conspirators in the Time-Life/Cypherpunks
> child pornography ring.

is keyid 0xD2DF803D this key?

Type Bits/KeyID    Date       User ID
pub  1024/D2DF803D 1995/08/13 Joseph Chamness <jmnc2@student.open.ac.uk>
            Key fingerprint = 6F A9 2E 13 AF 1F 10 E6  5C 25 89 0A B4 09 26 3B

Either you're getting these keys off the keyservers, or we have a real
life example of a keyid collision.  (The Joseph with the key above is
my brother in law and he's never been subscribed to nor read
cypherpunks to my knowledge).

btw, I have Joseph's public and private keys on my disk, he gave them
to me because he forgot his passphrase almost as soon as I showed him
how to generate the key.  We were unsuccessful in guessing his
passphrase with PGPcrack, so I won't be viewing this gif.
Unfortunately I added his key to the keyservers for him before he
forgot his passphrase.

btw2 thanks for the copy to my key in the previous post.  It was really
quite a boring picture.  Anyway, I did pgp -w t.gif after viewing just
to be on the safeish side :-)

btw3 is there some moral to this exercise?  Showing child porn is
over-hyped?  Attempting to give fedz an excuse to bust us other than
for being crypto enthusiasts, exporters of illegal T-shirts, and
thinkers of non-government approved thoughts?

(Thinking of the AA case where the fedz mailed the target a child porn
package and kicked the door in seconds after the package hit the door
mat, before they even knew their mail had arrived, and busted them for
"possession" of child porn.)

Adam