1997-06-25 - Re: Flag Burning…

Header Data

From: “David Downey” <digital_matrix@hotmail.com>
To: nicol@highway1.com.au
Message Hash: 84e774e3a21bb0fd7679cd6b6bc09ec1fa9e50ac0c8f1643beebc14bb7f6b30a
Message ID: <199706251146.EAA14923@f48.hotmail.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 20:02:33 +0800

Raw message

From: "David Downey" <digital_matrix@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 20:02:33 +0800
To: nicol@highway1.com.au
Subject: Re: Flag Burning...

>>You Crazy Americans . . . I dont think anyone else in the world
>>would
>>give a fuck someone burnt their countries flag, certainly not in
>>Australia.  What is it about your country?

>>My friend is a New Zealander.  When she was in school for a short
>>while in America, she was beaten up for not reciting the "Pledge of
>>Allegiance" in class everymorning.

>>Pete Nicol
>>Global Media Magnet
>>nicol@iap.net.au

 Although I agree that the U.S flag should not be burned (and yes I am
also a veteran having served 8 years in the U.S Armed Forces), I can see
other floks points in allowing the flag to be burned. I will never
support it, yet since I served to keep the ability to choose a freedom
that we enjoy, I do not oppose that sentiment. As to the Aussie that
asked what the "fuck" we Americans give about whether or not our flag is
burnt obviously does not understand how deep the grain of patriotism
runs in American blood. It is something anomolous to riding a Harley. If
we have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand. In my mind it
shows how little value the Aussies (or at least this particular one)
place on their solidarity as a nation and belief in their own country.
I place a HIGH value on my country and countrymen. (women too :-) )
That is why I get so upset when I see the degradation that is eating
this country alive. All the values that made this country as powerful
and great as it is are slowly being rotted away by some sort of
malignant cancer that I can not fathom. I understand that The Cleavers
are a concept that can never truly be lived up to, yet even if we came
as close as Family Ties, I'd be happy! Some folks say that this is a
symptom of too much freedom. I am inclined to agree to a certain extent,
we Americans seem to have lost the ability to control ourselves and
severely overindulge our whims sometimes. Yet, that is something that we
have fought long and hard for, losing many a brother, father, sister,
mother, uncle, aunt, and so on. Let me ask you this? Why are there so
many individuals from other countries killing themselves to come live
here, like the Cambodians, Vietnamese, Russians, and such? I'll tell you
why. Because this country has potential, and strength. What strentgh?
The strength of it's countrymen. The strength of ideals that are worth
living and fighting for. Privacy is one of those ideals. That is why
this channel exists! To unite us together, to try to stop the loss of
one of the central themes to America. The ability to be private. To
maintain a sense of individualism not found in many, many parts of the
world. We stand together for the right to be human! For the right to be
individuals, not clones! I for one, shall never be a clone. Neither
government nor fellow human shall force me to bend my knee in deference,
when that deference has not been earned. The government is trying to do
that right now. That is why they are trying to take our privacy, if the
know all that goes on, then control is easier. Whether through fear or
through willingness, they do not care. They only want control. And we
can not, should not, and many will not allow that to happen! I have seen
what happens in countries where total control over their people has been
achieved. The results are not pretty.  Listen, Look, Learn, Aussie! You
just might understand!!

David Downey
Case@EarthCorp.com
digital_matrix@hotmail.com
http://www.earthcorp.com/case
I am a human first, an American 2nd, and free most of all!