1997-06-17 - High-Class Hoards

Header Data

From: Shift Control <nobody@faust.guardian.co.uk>
To: shiftcontrol@nml.guardian.co.uk
Message Hash: b263e4307ec0ab87a105c7b94c791b5931a85e7d32008600b465c1a9a86a9ab9
Message ID: <199706161051.LAA19231@faust.guardian.co.uk>
Raw Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 19:21:00 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Shift Control <nobody@faust.guardian.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 19:21:00 -0700 (PDT)
To: shiftcontrol@nml.guardian.co.uk
Subject: High-Class Hoards

This week in the award-winning Shift Control...

The Hoarding Issue

"Nowadays Charles Saatchi buys up entire shows of new talent in
the Young Brit Art pack. Recently he bought nearly all the Chapman
brothers' disturbing child mannequins with penises and anuses in
peculiar places. And the whole of the Martin Maloney show, 'Die
Yuppie Scum'. I imagine his art depository must be as big as an
out-of-town IKEA store, with fork-lift trucks whizzing around it
and people with clipboards checking stock." - Professor Lisa Jardine
on art collectors, the ultimate hoarders.

"Mum keeps throwing more and more pairs of shoes into the black
hole at the bottom of her wardrobe, never to be seen again, even
though she might only have worn them once. This shoe fixation is a
trait the rest of the family seems to have inherited. Normal kids
inherit eye colour from their parents; we all got the urge to stash
flip-flops." - Emma Caldwell on growing up in a house of maniacal
hoarders.

"Charlie describes himself as a 'guardian of logic'. 'I've seen some
super-open people, into Buddhism and Feng shui and geomancing. But
that,' says Charlie, nodding towards the hoard of jumble, 'is an
ecclesiastical anathema, trying to combine all things, all religions
together.'" - Shift Control rumbles through jumble and finds a
philosopher in the closet.

Plus: The Shift Control Gallery, the world's first bionic bee, and
a chance to win 200 smackers in our short story competition. All
waiting for you NOW at
http://www.shiftcontrol.com