1997-06-21 - Re: Courts strike down New York and Georgia Net-censorship laws

Header Data

From: Mac Norton <mnorton@cavern.uark.edu>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Message Hash: b3432997aa7508c674a92bb057df8862c4e4e22113abee80416682ed7418de53
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.96.970620185932.6841D-100000@cavern.uark.edu>
Reply To: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970620165732.11215G-100000@well.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-21 00:18:06 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 08:18:06 +0800

Raw message

From: Mac Norton <mnorton@cavern.uark.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 08:18:06 +0800
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject: Re: Courts strike down New York and Georgia Net-censorship laws

I consider Dan an expert in the area, myself, and agree with most of
his thinking on the subject.  Defamation law is 1A-involved, so maybe
not an apt comparison.  It's subject to a national, not community,
standard in that regard, unlike obscenity.

On the other hand, while states actually have constitutionally
enshrined authority over liquor, there is Healey v. The Beer
Institute, cite I can't remember.
MacN

On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> Pardon me as I muddle through this --
>
> Defamation law looks to local communities to define
> things like reputation. What about huge Internet
> communities? What about the distinction between public
> and private figures?
>
> Wouldn't an even-handed application of the commerce
> clause stop states from banning child porn or passing
> libel/defamation laws for the Net?
>
> Though I agree that no court would strike down a child
> porn law on commerce clause grounds...
>
> Dan Burk has written much about this topic, and I'm
> planning to read up on it over the weekend. One of his
> law review articles came up during oral arguments before
> Judge Preska in NYC.
>
> -Declan

> > > Might this also mean that states attempting to restrict Internet gaming
> > > might similarly be restrained?
> >
> > Not necessarily, and that's ilustrative of one of the problems with this
> > decision on Commerce Clause grounds.  Is child porn, like other articles
> > of "commerce", generic across state lines, or is it subject to a Miller
> > "community standard"?  Same for the "harmful to minors" standard?
> > MacN

Thread