1997-06-17 - Re: We need more surveillance–a morality play about terrorism

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <rcgraves@disposable.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: bf24462d8052a6af68864bf1026330f2ec4e0bd98aabffb8db4584848ec9da12
Message ID: <Pine.GUL.3.95.970616215033.19356A-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
Reply To: <3.0.2.32.19970616070059.0076d9c4@netcom13.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-17 05:15:16 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 13:15:16 +0800

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <rcgraves@disposable.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 13:15:16 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: We need more surveillance--a morality play about terrorism

On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, Lucky Green wrote:

> At 05:02 PM 6/15/97 -0700, Rich Graves wrote:
[...]
> >Of course it probably helped that the guy was white, and probably
> >driving a "decent" car, and carrying "decent" guns and not some
> >"Saturday Night Special."
>
> The guy being white and educated may well have convinced the cop to not
> make a fuzz. My local newspaper recently ran an article about a few
> Hispanic looking folks who had some photographs of themselves holding guns
> in their hands developed at the supermarket. Before they even picked up the
> prints, the clerk had called the cops which in turn raided the unfortunate
> gun owners.
>
> It turned out that the Hispanics owned the firearms legally.

I always knew you had a bleeding-heard liberal inside, just struggling to
come out.

Yes, for some people, this is a police state. But the threat is not (just)
the FBI/CIA/ATF/NSA; it's us. It's the people developing photos at the
supermarket who aren't comfortable with Hispanics and "ebonites" having
guns, and believe the police or TLAs should put a stop to it. Technical
capabilities don't oppress people; people do.

-rich
 http://www.stanford.edu/~llurch/

Thread