1997-06-30 - Re: Government at Work (prudish idiocy)

Header Data

From: geeman@best.com
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: da25ba028812e7baa04ee4ba85e08156160fdfd1e0cbf8632c80a4fc524f69f1
Message ID: <3.0.32.19970630085326.006c5f1c@best.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 00:05:24 +0800

Raw message

From: geeman@best.com
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 00:05:24 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: Government at Work (prudish idiocy)

At 07:29 AM 6/30/97 -0500, you wrote:

>from Wired News:
>
>Oklahoma-am-Rhein: Police Seize Oscar Winner
>12:05 pm
>
>Oklahoma City police seized copies of
>The Tin Drum, the 1979 Academy Award winner
>for best foreign film, after a judge ruled the film
>obscene under Oklahoma law. On Thursday,
>police began removing the movie from video stores
>and,

using store records, tracking down those who
>possessed rented copies.

 ..../\ last I heard, this was illegal without a warrant.  Of course, in
the pursuit of Justice and the Law I suppose the warrant was easily
obtained.  OR was is obtained at all?

Oklahoma District
>Judge Richard Freeman acted on a complaint by
>Oklahomans for Children and Families, which was
>upset by a scene in which a young boy has oral
>sex with a teenage girl.

Thread