1997-06-27 - Re: Bomb Making Info to be Illegal

Header Data

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
To: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
Message Hash: f5f20a3652fe8f44b163e0f950f964576713d453958020f4197fe6267d6a33d7
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.970626193506.152D-100000@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Reply To: <v0310280bafd83fcea0f8@[10.0.2.15]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-27 15:22:55 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 23:22:55 +0800

Raw message

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 23:22:55 +0800
To: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Bomb Making Info to be Illegal

> >The reasoning was that while offensive, unorthodox, or hateful ideas
> >are protected by the 1st, they, unlike pornography, have at least *some*
> >redeeming social value.  The court noted that laws enacted after the
>
> I can't see that anyone, including the courts, should use redeeming social
> value as a yardstick.  This term has all the hateful aspects of one group's
> mores being used to limit the freedom of their neighbor in the privacy of
> their home and thoughts.  After all, one man's ceiling is another man's
> floor.

I agree, besides the argument rests on direct democracy: The idea that
something revolting or distasteful to a majority of people is therefore
inherently wrong. Any idea or form of speech, even if 100% of a social
group dislike it, is not criminal.

> What if we create religion who's practice requires use and possesion of
> child porn?  Wonder how the SC would rule, given its rulings allowing use
> of peyote by certain native American tribes and against the Mormons on the
> issue of bigemy.

Maybe this would be a good test case, where is kibo when you need him ;-)...

> I think resistance to such limitations should go beyond legal avenues.

This and other issues should elicit such a response from reasonable
people, the law is a useful tool in some cases but is not the right way
to go about removing an unjust law, civil disobediance and, in extreme
cases, even violent revolt are the best methods.

        Datacomms Technologies data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul@crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul@cryptography.uk.eu.org
       Http://www.cryptography.home.ml.org/