1997-07-10 - Re: Recreational pharmaceuticals by genetic engineering

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 27e4dad692abbe12dfb3bd9642dc8fb371db11549c47075d8a8392210d446314
Message ID: <v03102804afea2bc2806e@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <v03102807afea1f8f0451@[10.0.2.15]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-10 06:19:28 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 14:19:28 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 14:19:28 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Recreational pharmaceuticals by genetic engineering

At 10:21 PM -0700 7/9/97, Steve Schear wrote:
>I know this is off-topic for the list...
>
>But why hasn't some cleaver graduate student engineered a common mold or
>yeast to yield easily extracted (or directly ingestible) common
>recreational pharmaceuticals?  Ideally it would be a perpetual source, like
>sour dough starter, and easily cultured.  Once distributed to the street it
>would be impossible to stop or track (since no controlled chemicals would
>be required for production).

You know, if Jim Bell was still contributing to the list, the chemist in
him would surely produce some posts on this.

Then, when the narcs and BATFags searched his house and found the
inevitable mold on the bread, the curdled milk, etc. (Jim is a bachelor,
and a computer person, so the mold, etc. is inevitable) they could add this
to the indictment.

And "The Oregonian" could breathlessly headline: "Drug-Producing Molds
Found in Home of Terror-Chemist."

--Tim May