1997-07-06 - Citizen’s Line Item Veto (was Re: Just Say “No” to Congress)

Header Data

From: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
To: Paul Bradley <blancw@cnw.com>
Message Hash: 4326b7de19c30594642afca131a1be3307f84b9014153b76c0c6d3ee2c5d0a22
Message ID: <v03102808afe499364268@[10.0.2.15]>
Reply To: <3.0.32.19970519010058.00685bdc@cnw.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-06 00:44:27 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 08:44:27 +0800

Raw message

From: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 08:44:27 +0800
To: Paul Bradley <blancw@cnw.com>
Subject: Citizen's Line Item Veto (was Re: Just Say "No" to Congress)

At 5:13 PM +0000 5/19/97, Paul Bradley wrote:
>> On the other hand, he obviously believes in the authority of the US
>> government, as he has always supported it in arguments on the list,
>> especially in counter arguments against TCM.
>>
>> So, it appears that VZN is not *ready* to hold the government accountable,
>> preferring not to protest when his own money is withheld for him, but
>> hypocritically wondering when everyone will make this will happen.
>
>I made a point a while ago on this list, which I felt strongly was
>correct at the time and I still feel as strongly now but this argument
>draws parallels which made me think again:
>
>I stated that anyone who, in a situation of military conscription, fought
>for a country or a cause they did not believe in, simply to avoid
>punishment for refusal to fight, was a coward.
>
>I still believe this, but really taxation is simply paying the government
>to be your hitman for you, your tax money pays the governments barbaric
>killing and warmongering, you cannot wash your hands of this simply by
>arguing that you did not choose for the money to pay for a war, you have
>to draw the conclusion that by funding the government and the state you
>fund killing and violence elsewhere in the world.
>>
>It is a similar case with taxation, until enough people stop whinging and
>actually do something the state will tax as it sees fit, I`m not going to
>be the first to refuse payment on ethical grounds in peacetime, maybe I`m
>lacking in moral fibre, maybe I`m just a realist and think I can do more
>for the case of freedom outside of a 6'x9' cell.
>
>I wish all luck to those who do refuse to pay tax on moral and ethical
>grounds, they certainly have my admiration and I grant that they are
>probably of stronger stuff than I.

Since Congress passed a Presidential Line Item Veto, perhaps its time
citizens ask for the same priviledge and for the same reasons.

--Steve

PGP mail preferred
Fingerprint: FE 90 1A 95 9D EA 8D 61  81 2E CC A9 A4 4A FB A9
Steve Schear              | tel: (702) 658-2654
CEO                       | fax: (702) 658-2673
First ECache Corporation  |
7075 West Gowan Road      |
Suite 2148                |
Las Vegas, NV 89129       | Internet: azur@netcom.com

        I know not what instruments others may use,
        but as for me, give me Ecache or give me debt.

        SHOW ME THE DIGITS!

Thread