1997-07-06 - Re: Hack the Mars rover (fwd)

Header Data

From: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
To: Jim Choate <ravage@ssz.com>
Message Hash: 43d17e2a987e20415c0373b5e9a66c00d069ebc163c802f93c1441097c998a0a
Message ID: <v03102802afe5a9e8f723@[10.0.2.15]>
Reply To: <199707061611.LAA18434@einstein.ssz.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-06 20:15:09 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 04:15:09 +0800

Raw message

From: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 04:15:09 +0800
To: Jim Choate <ravage@ssz.com>
Subject: Re: Hack the Mars rover (fwd)

The place to hack any deep-space mission is at its terminus.  Even with the
incredible receiveing equipment at each of the controlling earth stations
(e.g., Goldstone off of I395 between Barstow and Mammoth Lakes, CA) the
link margin, that is the minimum required signal/noise vs. actual for the
specified bit rate, can't be too healthy.  The antennas are huge, very
directional, parabolic dishes, but even the best have a bit of side-lobe
receiption (that's why they're located in remote areas, usualy surrounded
by hills).  One can exploit these side-lobe to jam in inbound signal.

Depending upon the transmission/modulation scheme, only a simple,
low-powered, transmitter with line-of-sight to the parabolic dish could
overwhelm the Rover signal.  Getting such a 'shot' at the antenna might be
difficult from the ground.

--Steve

PGP mail preferred
Fingerprint: FE 90 1A 95 9D EA 8D 61  81 2E CC A9 A4 4A FB A9
Steve Schear              | tel: (702) 658-2654
CEO                       | fax: (702) 658-2673
First ECache Corporation  |
7075 West Gowan Road      |
Suite 2148                |
Las Vegas, NV 89129       | Internet: azur@netcom.com

        I know not what instruments others may use,
        but as for me, give me Ecache or give me debt.

        SHOW ME THE DIGITS!

Thread