1997-07-06 - index.html

Header Data

From: Jim Choate <ravage@ssz.com>
To: cypherpunks@ssz.com
Message Hash: 52f109ecb020a84f4a1fb364eb6383ca0d5eea40f2189b8b59055dab7198824e
Message ID: <199707060405.XAA17674@einstein.ssz.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 12:28:37 +0800

Raw message

From: Jim Choate <ravage@ssz.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 12:28:37 +0800
To: cypherpunks@ssz.com
Subject: index.html

   CNN logo
   US navbar

   Infoseek/Big Yellow

   Pathfinder/Warner Bros

   Main banner If it's in your head, Okidata puts it on paper.

     rule

            GOP: FEDERAL GOVERNMENT WOULD 'SHOCK' FOUNDING FATHERS

     July 5, 1997
     Web posted at: 3:46 p.m. EDT (1946 GMT) Solomon graphic

     WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The federal government is just too big, taking
     on things "that would have shocked" the nation's founding fathers,
     New York Congressman Gerald Solomon said Saturday in the Republican
     weekly radio address.

     "The Founding Fathers designed a government with limited and defined
     powers," Solomon said. "But that idea has been turned on its head."

     Chief among the government offenses, the congressman said, is an
     exorbitant tax bill.

     "What the founding fathers could not even comprehend is the idea of
     Americans paying more in takes than they do for food and shelter,"
     Solomon said.

     "Our Republican philosophy is different," he said. "We'd rather
     shrink the welfare class and put the American dream of financial
     security and independence within the reach of as many middle class
     people as possible."

     The recently passed budget, Solomon said, will accomplish that by
     offering tax relief to families with children, and those with
     "oppressive capital gains taxes."

     "We're not talking millionaires here," he said. "We're talking about
     people like grandparents who owned a house for years, reared their
     children in that house and then decades later they want to sell it
     when it becomes too much of burden."

     The GOP Tax Relief Act, Solomon said, "will help 2 million older
     Americans."

     Other aspects of the tax relief plan will help small business owners
     -- who may want to pass on the family business to sons and daughters
     -- by increasing an exemption on estate taxes.

     Solomon compared the current Republican tax cut to the birth of the
     United States 221 years ago.

     "Yes, on July 4, 1776, we won the battle of independence from
     oppressive taxation and today ... the Republican Congress has just
     won another battle to restore a larger chunk of that freedom from
     taxation to you," he said.  rule

  Transcript:

     * Transcript of Republican weekly radio address - July 5, 1997

  Related site:

     Note: Page will open in a new browser window
     * House RepublicanLeadership

     External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.  Search for
     related CNN stories:
     ________________________________________   ______ [Help]
     Tip: You can restrict your search to the title of a document.
     Infoseek grfk

     Example: title:New Year's Resolutions
      rule Message Boards

  Sound off on our message boards

     Tell us what you think!

     You said it... [INLINE] If it's in your head, Okidata puts it on
     paper. rule

   To the top

   (c) 1997 Cable News Network, Inc.
   All Rights Reserved.

        Terms under which this service is provided to you.

Thread