1997-07-25 - Re: Data Fellows announces F-Secure SSH Tunnel&Terminal

Header Data

From: Tom Helenius <Tom.Helenius@DataFellows.com>
To: Petri Laakkonen <Petri.Laakkonen@DataFellows.com>
Message Hash: 668763cae183a1ed4bdcef33625d792a6ed7762f8a9c85d416e7bd33b83c1a34
Message ID: <3.0.32.19970725180119.00a427b0@datafellows.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 08:51:01 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Tom Helenius <Tom.Helenius@DataFellows.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 08:51:01 -0700 (PDT)
To: Petri Laakkonen <Petri.Laakkonen@DataFellows.com>
Subject: Re: Data Fellows announces F-Secure SSH Tunnel&Terminal

Hello Petri and others,

I think you haven't fallen off the tracks. We have now (very soon) SSH 1.1
clients. Instead of SSH 1.1 we call the product SSH Tunnel&Terminal. This
way we want to emphasize that SSH is a very nice tool for remote and mobile
workers.

Most of the details about SSH 1.1 you can find in the press release.

Regards,
Tom

At 01:44 AM 7/25/97 -0700, Petri Laakkonen wrote:
>Hi guys,
>
>I'm afraid of that US sales has fallen off the tracks. We need to catch up
>ASAP.
>

>At 07:58 PM 7/24/97 +0200, Tom Helenius wrote:
>>FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>>
>>Data Fellows announces F-Secure SSH Tunnel&Terminal
>>
>What's this product all in all ? Has this now replaced F-Secure SSH or is
>this one additional derivative of SSH a'la ISP SSH ?

SSH 1.1 - Easy to use product for remote/mobile workers. It can do all the
same that SSH 1.0 does and it is more optimised for telecommuting.

>Are the features same as for the most recent SSH clients/servers ? HOw does
>this product differ from SSH ?
>
>Any data sheets ?

Probably we should update SSH 1.0 sheets.

>Is the software
>
>a) shipping
>b) downloadable from the web ?

Should be in a couple of weeks.

>>The remote worker can use e-mail, Internet browser, database tools and all
>>the usual applications at home, on the road or in any place with Internet
>>access. The big difference, though invisible to the remote worker, is that
>>all data communication between the server in the office and the remote user
>>is flowing through an encrypted tunnel.
>>
>Does this configure itself automatically for most popular office apps as
>discussed some time earlier, or do admins still need to do the installation
>manually for each computer or count on users doing this themselves ?

You still need some knowledge to make the initial configuration. After that
it is very easy. I don't know about the automatic deployment tool.

>>F-Secure SSH Tunnel&Terminal provides strong encryption of data and thus
>>sets a new standard for secure remote working. Existing solutions like
>>Cisco Systems L2F, IETF L2TP and firewalls don't provide strong encryption
>>and authentication, which makes these solutions insecure against
>>eavesdropping and IP spoofing attacks. In addition to encrypted tunnels,
>>F-Secure Tunnel&Terminal also provides secure terminal connections to UNIX
>>hosts and secures UNIX X11 applications.
>>
>What would be F-Secure Tunnel's added value over MS pptp ?

MS PPTP does not provide strong crypto. With the SSH tunnels we are almost
directly competing against PPTP. Of course PPTP is not available for win3.x
and Mac. I'm preparing some info about PPTP, at least for our partners. The
problem is I'm not sure what to say and how.

>>The automatic deployment tool enables straightforward company-wide
>>installation and updates.
>>
>Interesting. Tell us more about this ?

This is very interesting. I have to admit I don't know what this really
means. Let's find out on Monday.

>>F-Secure SSH Tunnel&Terminal is available for win3.1, win95, winNT and UNIX
>>operating systems worldwide in the end of July, 1997.
>>
>How about our friends from Cupertino (e.g. Apple) ?

This seems to be an error. We are doing the Mac also. Sorry.

>Thanks for the additional info in advance,
>
>Petri

>Petri.Laakkonen@DataFellows.com, World Wide Web: http://www.DataFellows.com
>
>Data Fellows U.S headquarters has moved ! Our new contacts as of March
>24th, 1997 are:
>
>Data Fellows
>675 N. First Street, Suite 605
>San Jose, CA 95112
>phone (408) 938-6700, fax (408) 938-6701

>* 				F-Secure              		      *
>*            Award-winning Security for Peace of Mind               *
>*               from the Desktop to the Internet                    *
>*	 	http://www.DataFellows.com/                           *

Tom.Helenius@DataFellows.com, World-Wide Web http://www.DataFellows.com

Thread