1997-07-18 - spawn of Vulis

Header Data

From: Zooko Journeyman <zooko@xs4all.nl>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 71db0c27d44092e4094a8a45b1b156cd40f68b4f76d8e8641b65ee4761e0871f
Message ID: <199707181146.NAA24061@xs1.xs4all.nl>
Raw Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 20:02:26 +0800

Raw message

From: Zooko Journeyman <zooko@xs4all.nl>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 20:02:26 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: spawn of Vulis

> FWIW, my 8 y o has his own IBM Aptiva, his own Internet access, his own
> e-mail box, and I exercise absolutely no control over what he reads or
> says on the Internet.

You need to help him set up a pseudonym, Dmitri.  Think about
10 or 20 years down the road when he wants to get a contract/
join a phyle/avoid an enemy or whatever, and his entire
childhood e-mail and virtual-community history is greppable via
a 2-second, 2-cent search.  This would give his employers/
partners/competitors/enemies/governments a great deal of
leverage over him in various ways.  Also it might be very
embarassing socially, which is no less important.

Get him a pseudonym.  You can always (more or less) claim the
reputation capital that your pseudonym accumulated, but you can
never (probably) lose history accumulated under your True Name.

Of course he could always change his name/adopt a strong 'nym
in the future in order to get a clean start, but this might not
be easy, especially since people can find him through you and
perhaps other of his relatives or friends.

Sincerely,

Zooko Journeynym

Thread