1997-07-17 - Re: i miss carol anne cyphergrrl

Header Data

From: Doug Peterson <fnorky@geocities.com>
To: “Peter G. Neumann” <neumann@csl.sri.com>
Message Hash: 73fc57a1b4f7c02686e69acd7c90aa86f0860835b15eeae2d5bd06cff2c25a0d
Message ID: <33CE7333.28E8@geocities.com>
Reply To: <CMM.0.90.1.869152885.neumann@chiron.csl.sri.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-17 20:11:38 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:11:38 +0800

Raw message

From: Doug Peterson <fnorky@geocities.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:11:38 +0800
To: "Peter G. Neumann" <neumann@csl.sri.com>
Subject: Re: i miss carol anne cyphergrrl

Peter G. Neumann wrote:

> Dank U, Zooko!
> We are indeed on the horns of a dilemma.
> As long as the vendors can get away with crapware
> (with respect to security, reliability, robustness, etc.),
> there is no incentive to do better.  In info-peace, most
> folks don't care.  In info-war, the bad guys (on all sides)
> are delighted that the systems are flaky, and the good guys
> lose.  However, the governmental incentives that exist seem
> to opt for dumbing down -- despite the realization that
> governments cannot get x-worthy systems to satisfy their own
> needs.  Short-sighted parado[x|c]trinarianism abounds.
> Piet
Yes, but this keeps us security consultants in business :)

-Doug

Thread