1997-07-18 - Crypto implants

Header Data

From: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 78b6a4572d96d5b73838773b06c2a0ec86049a0eae83a5ccb9b3ac584cdba9bc
Message ID: <v03102817aff57f01f29b@[10.0.2.15]>
Raw Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 06:35:17 +0800

Raw message

From: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 06:35:17 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Crypto implants

[I could find no instance in the cypherpunks archives of this thread.
Forgive me if I've erred.]

As single chip crypto devices are now available (e.g., smart cards) it is
not unreasonable to ask how the implantation of advanced bio-chips may
challenge current notions of civil liberties.

A key US legal assumption of privacy is that one has an unlimited right to
one's thoughts but limited rights to ones ideas reduced to tangible form
and to communications. (The threads regarding the ability of the courts to
cause the a witness to disgorge a crypto key are closely related.)

Another civil liberty is the assumption that one owns and controls one's
body (unless arrested/imprisoned) and the government may not alter or
injure your body. Most citizens and hopefully the courts would find
invasion of this most sacrosanct part of one's being are repugnant.

An implied aspects of the privacy-crypto debate is that
mechanical/electronic devices outside of one's body are required for use of
crypto. But what happens if a person's body is augmented for various
purposes, including data storage, crypto and communications?  Unless a
proven crime were committed via these devices, is it feasible that a person
could be forced to submit to removal of an implant or to disgorge their
data contents?

--Steve

PGP mail preferred, see  http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html
PGP Fingerprint: FE 90 1A 95 9D EA 8D 61  81 2E CC A9 A4 4A FB A9
Steve Schear (N7ZEZ)     | Internet: azur@netcom.com
7075 West Gowan Road     | Voice: 1-702-658-2654
Suite 2148               | Fax: 1-702-658-2673
Las Vegas, NV 89129      |

        God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
        The courage to change the things I can;
        The weapons that make the difference;
        And the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people that got in my way;-)

        "Surveilence is ultimately just another form of media, and thus,
        potential entertainment."
        --G. Beato

       "We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million
        typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of
        Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is
        not true."                           -- Dr. Robert Silensky

Thread