1997-07-17 - Re: Censorware Summit Take II, from The Netly News

Header Data

From: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 7ccd0b6537a5192273f69b989bd4a7d46a452cb3d46e9825a5347ec18a546761
Message ID: <v03102800aff35a11fa0e@[10.0.2.15]>
Raw Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 23:38:47 +0800

Raw message

From: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 23:38:47 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Censorware Summit Take II, from The Netly News

>     Spooked by the threat of a revised Communications
>Decency Act, high tech firms are seriously backing
>labels for the first time. Joining Clinton in coercing
>Internet users and businesses to label all their web
>pages were Yahoo, Excite, and Lycos. "I threw a
>gauntlet to other search engines in today's meeting
>saying that collectively we should require a rating
>before we index pages," Robert Davis, the president of
>Lycos, told me. Translation: if you don't play ball,
>and label your site, search engines will ignore you.

These suggests that Yahoo, Excite, and Lycos might become tempting targets
of a Net-wide DoS attack until they repent.

--Steve

Thread