1997-07-14 - Re: Jim Bell reference

Header Data

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
To: Antonomasia <ant@notatla.demon.co.uk>
Message Hash: 876a8c4c39aabc5d63216bc3d0d8e6462b6f62c10736356766ea77e5e8c28e32
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.970713110646.728A-100000@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Reply To: <199707120851.JAA01075@notatla.demon.co.uk>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-14 22:59:48 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 06:59:48 +0800

Raw message

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 06:59:48 +0800
To: Antonomasia <ant@notatla.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Jim Bell reference

> Baloney.  The figures you give later indicate 1000 or 2000 investigations
> a year meeting computer encryption.  Even if they were all unbreakable
> that's 2000/year in a population of how many ?  Dents the clear-up rate
> by how much ?   Makes me think the issue is the preservation of many
> thousands of _unathorised_ taps.  What else could explain that viewpoint?

Don`t cloud the issue: The simple fact is strong encryption can and will
obstruct law enforcement agencies in their "fight" against terrorism,
child pornography, drugs etc... good.

> Incidentally, I'm against terrorism, child molestation etc etc.
> I'm confident most other cypherpunks are too, so no nonsense please
> about free crypto supporters being backers of [crime of the month].

Once again, you fail to give adequate qualification to this statement,
what forms of terrorism are you against: one mans terrorist is another
mans freedom fighter. Were the French resistance during WWII terrorists?
Would you then say their actions were wrong? As for child molestation,
this is a clear cut case, most libertarians follow the basic rule that a
crime has to be a direct act of agression, and infringe the rights of
another person, therefore child molestation clearly comes into this
category, distributing pictures of children being molested, raped,
buggered, tortured and killed is clearly not a crime. Please clarify your
position on this.

> >       A subject in a child pornography case used encryption in
> >       transmitting obscene and pornographic images of children
> >       over the Internet.
> >
> >       A major international drug trafficking subject recently used a
> >       telephone encryption device to frustrate court-approved
> >       electronic surveillance.

Above are two examples of why strong cryptography is a good thing, law
enforcement should be routinely obstructed as often as possible.

        Datacomms Technologies data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul@crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul@cryptography.uk.eu.org
       Http://www.cryptography.home.ml.org/