1997-07-02 - Re: Marc Andreessen on encryption and CDA

Header Data

From: geeman@best.com
To: Duncan Frissell <declan@well.com>
Message Hash: 988eafdb8cfd2bfc3e37bf710b9dde2c144dd1546238eb16dc00f863386167d9
Message ID: <3.0.32.19970701221029.0068d7c0@best.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 13:46:31 +0800

Raw message

From: geeman@best.com
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 13:46:31 +0800
To: Duncan Frissell <declan@well.com>
Subject: Re: Marc Andreessen on encryption and CDA

The point was that Marc Andreessen insists on framing the crypto debate in
terms of
"The Market" -- the next statement was that that's OK because What's Good
for the Market is Good for the People.  My reply to that was "bullshit and
here's why"; don't take my word for the stats, go look them up, and I won't
go into the absolute correctness of your statement about "wealth" vs.
"securities"

Bottom line is that there is tremendous evidence that what's good for the
Market is NOT at ALL good for 'the people' -- and that framing the crypto
debate in such terms makes the issues of civil liberties and the
empowerment of People irrelevant.  Now this may be a good political ploy
when playing the back rooms of Washington, but I'd wish for something better
from someone from Netscape, one of the Big Voices in the debate.

At 01:37 PM 7/1/97 -0400, Duncan Frissell wrote:

Thread