1997-07-10 - Re: Cast of Characters for Crypto Politics (Judiciary Hearing)

Header Data

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b3e21b39ddb2e9593b85b0bb9a6073cbf2e3af51f142ec6efb51e5d837e4fe94
Message ID: <199707101015.MAA25193@basement.replay.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 03:48:53 +0800

Raw message

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 03:48:53 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Cast of Characters for Crypto Politics (Judiciary Hearing)

Tim May wrote:
> At 8:06 PM -0700 7/9/97, Declan McCullagh wrote:
> >Here's a cast of characters from today's hearing...
>
> Except maybe for Ashcroft--and it may be too soon to tell about him--the
> rest have just shown their expected colors. I say we just hang them all and
> be done with it.

  Legislators should be made to vote with their dicks hanging out.
Any legislator with fresh lipstick on his dick gets his vote thrown
out. It may not be a perfect system, but I wouldn't bet against it
being better than what we have now.

> Many of us warned long ago that Leahy was no friend of liberty, despite his
> soothing comments at the SAFE forum last summer. His support of other
> statist policies makes him just another fool on the Hill.

  The "classified briefing" by LEA smells like a classic example of
"Of course, if you vote against this bill then we will be forced to
expose you as a champion of pedophiles and drug czars."

> A law to ban domestic use of strong crypto is coming. All it will take is
> some horrific incident--another bombing in a building, another Dahmer case,
> etc., where crypto is involved in any way. This will be the catalyst for
> the outlawing of unapproved crypto.

  So you're sitting there at the police computer, checking out Dahmer's
floppies, which contain only letters to his mother, and you realize that
if they are encrypted, then they are proof that he has something
sinister
to hide. Hmmm...
  Or you realize that the Judge will imprison Tim May for contempt of
court until he provides his secret key, and you realize that if it is
encrypted with a key Tim doesn't have, that the Judge will have to
decide whether to believe the outrageous accusations of Tim May, Jim
Bell's best friend (according to a reliable informant), against a
champion of law enforcement.

> >SEN. JOHN KYL (R): Criticized Kerrey for being too
> >moderate. "My own view is that the legislation does
> >not go far enough," Sen. Kyl said of the McCain-Kerrey
>
> The competition to outdo the others is beginning, signalling the usual
> stampede toward the passage of a bill.

  There are times that I wish Tim was a little less perceptive. It would
give me a little room for self-deception when I need to take a break
from
reality and try to tell myself that there is some slim ray of hope for
freedom and liberty to prevail.
  Why is it that the "stampede" always seems to manage to head in the
direction needed to trample the constitution underfoot (like tornados
sniffing out trailer parks)?

SEN. JOHN ASHCROFT (R): Emerged as a staunch
crypto-defender.

  I originally thought that perhaps he was taking this stance as a
matter of principle, but then I heard that he had purple lipstick
on his dick.
  Does anyone know what color Blanc wears?
  (Just curious. I certainly wouldn't want to start any unfounded
rumors. However, for the record, I would like to assure Blanc that
if the bill happened to be defeated by a substantial margin, I
wouldn't think any less of her.)

  I think I need to go spank myself.

TruthMonger

Thread