1997-07-16 - Re: Rep. Rick White on White House censorware summit (fwd)

Header Data

From: Jim Burnes <jim.burnes@ssds.com>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Message Hash: b6e0fbf60c1d9e8f0e9f3e5cf8f3f77cc770895a12db2bec9dfd393c2027924f
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.95.970716161905.22616C-100000@westsec.denver.ssds.com>
Reply To: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970716143224.4823B-100000@well.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-16 22:32:09 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 06:32:09 +0800

Raw message

From: Jim Burnes <jim.burnes@ssds.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 06:32:09 +0800
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject: Re: Rep. Rick White on White House censorware summit (fwd)

> (Washington, D.C.)  --  Congressman Rick White (R-First District) today
> made clear his desire to protect kids who use the Internet but expressed
> concern that the federal government can solve the problem.  White's
> remarks were made during his participation in a closed meeting at the
> White House that focused on making the Internet family friendly.
>
> "I have four children who love to use the Net and there is no question
> we need to protect our kids from harmful material on the Internet.
> Today's meeting was a step in the right direction," said White.  "But as
> we evaluate the next step we need to make sure we don't lure ourselves
> into a false sense of security.  No matter what we do in the United
> States it won't affect sites developed in Amsterdam or Bangkok.  That's
> why I'm skeptical that the federal government can solve this problem.
> The real solution will come from the smart people in the private
> sector."

Oh, I'm sure the "smart" people in the private sector will do something.
 ;-)

I don't know if the people at Microsoft will go along with it though.

Jim

Thread