1997-07-11 - Re: The Recent Trend in “Collective Contracts”

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e4751a9ed3ab2f2959755d7397200821d770264618fb5906cf868411739545d8
Message ID: <5HFo0D4w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <v03102801afeb676790ab@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-11 13:05:05 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 21:05:05 +0800

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 21:05:05 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: The Recent Trend in "Collective Contracts"

Tim May <tcmay@got.net> writes:
> A third possibility, and one which deserves a longer essay by someone, is
> the role quasi-private organizations play. To cut to the chase,
> organizations like the American Bar Association, American Medical
> Association, etc.

I think one of the possible scenarios is that all tobacco companies,
present and future, will have to become members of a "private"
self-regulatory organization - sort of like NASD.

> These "guilds" are an interesting case of self-policing where there is no
> option for opting out. (I don't believe it is possible to practice law or
> medicine without approval/licensing from these kinds of
> organizations/guilds.)

It is a CRIME is most jurisdictions.

> Licensing in general is something I think is getting out of hand.

Actually, licensing is a neat idea that leads to more efficient markets.
E.g., New York State licenses plumbers, contractors, barbers, etc; if
you enter into a contract with an unlicensed party for one of these
services, it won't be enforced by the state court. E.g. you can't
sue the unlicensed bricklayer for laying your bricks crooked, and he
can't sue you for not paying. :-) Here the state just says, if you
want our jurisdiction, you play by our rules and you pay a fee.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM