1997-07-18 - Re: A.Jensen doesn’t like Sympatico.ca

Header Data

From: Toto <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e524bb1969181dcb6231502a342a941937f8898c685736a9ea79ba8ad5be8264
Message ID: <33CF16FC.52C5@sk.sympatico.ca>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.96.970717164301.8372E-100000@fractal.mta.ca>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-18 07:26:01 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 15:26:01 +0800

Raw message

From: Toto <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 15:26:01 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: A.Jensen doesn't like Sympatico.ca

Michael C Taylor wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:
>
> > They hate Toto's ISP:

  So does Toto.

> Funny thing is that Sympatico.ca is NOT some fly-by-night ISP, but one of
> the larger ISPs and has the deepest pockets.
> Each province buys the basic 'francise' from MediaLink (??) in Upper
> Canada, and resells it and packages it how they want.

> The problem is with spam is not they do more of it, they are most
> likely underqualified to fix the problem of non-Sympatico users using the
> various Sympatico SMTP servers as a relay.

  Sympatico is a hacker's dream. Not only are you able to access their
systems all across Canada once you get an inside track into one of them
but most of the provincial admins seem to have little idea of what the
concept of security entails. As long as you remain low-key you can
set up your own little cyberkingdom across the country.
 {If you hack Toto's website you will find a file in the home directory
which explains how to hack Sympatico's mail system. In return Toto asks
that you use unlimited accounts instead of those like his, which cost
the user on a time-of-use basis.}

  Passive-aggressive hacker fans of "The True Story of the InterNet"
sometimes use Toto's account in ways that are meant to cause trouble
for him but he has not received even a whisper from Sympatico admin
despite loud and voriciferous protests from the victims of the hackers'
shenanigans.
  There was an annual MC hacker's contest going on for the last month
on the Sympatico system and none of the Webmasters seemed to notice
even though all the provincial systems were compromised from top to
bottom. When the Evil-1 set up shop on the Sympatico system he had
to go through it and _improve_ the security in order to keep the
neophyte hackers out of his hair.

  The Saskatchewan Sympatico system is the easiest to use for general
purpose mischief. The British Columbia system is best for hiding large
volumes of use and CPU time. The Ontario system is the most fun to
lurk in because all of the Sympatico employees are perverts of one
kind or another and their private email puts the sex sites to shame.
{It's best not to mess with the government accounts until you've
figured out where the Mountie and CIS spooks are lurking but their
monitoring methods are real blatant and easy to route around by using
blind telnet, deleted mail mirroring, etc.}

  Sympatico's motto is "Internet Service For Everyone."
  I doubt that they realize how true it is.

Toto #6UALDV8

Thread