1997-07-08 - Re: Forged Posts

Header Data

From: BadRemailer <bm@dev.null>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f273c44be86a535cc93cca73351fb9ea4f521ca6ae453d418cb4ccee6a100c12
Message ID: <199707080336.VAA28514@wombat.sk.sympatico.ca>
Raw Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 11:53:06 +0800

Raw message

From: BadRemailer <bm@dev.null>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 11:53:06 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Forged Posts

Tim May wrote:
> The Canadian whacko who goes by "Toto," "TruthMonger," "Xenix Chainsaw
> Massacre Author," "Colonel C.J. Parker" (or somesuch) is apparently at it
> again.
>
> While I was out of town, he arranged to have this message sent:
>
> At 5:20 PM -0700 7/2/97, Tim May wrote:
> >  Anything that isn't nailed down, is mine.
> >  Anything that I can pry loose, isn't nailed down.

  "Toto" is actually an anonymous pseudonym of Adam Back, who resents
Tim May's respected position on the list. "TruthMonger" posts are
usually written by John Young and Robert Hettinga as a result of
having the same drug connections and thus a common outlook on life
when they are stoned out of their gourds.
  Lucky Green's recent posts are actually forgeries done by snow, and
Kent Crispin has been sending posts purporting to be from Dr. Vulis.

  The fact is, forgeries have gotten so out of hand on the cypherpunks
list that even the "can i join" and "subscribe me" posts of late are
probably coming from John Gilmore, who is forging AOL return addresses
in an attempt to bring calls for his return to hosting the list in
order to save us from "The Night of the Living Newbies."

BadRemailer
"Some people just can't keep a secret."

Thread