1997-07-08 - Re: ISP signatures on outgoing mail

Header Data

From: “David E. Smith” <dave@bureau42.ml.org>
To: Firebeard <stend+cypherpunks@sten.tivoli.com>
Message Hash: f70d85a389e7934171e2388b5ba5e989176eca004443bdcee151fe5564d5ed50
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.96.970708073559.154B-100000@bureau42.ml.org>
Reply To: <vpd8ouyv8j.fsf@sten.tivoli.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-08 08:07:34 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 16:07:34 +0800

Raw message

From: "David E. Smith" <dave@bureau42.ml.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 16:07:34 +0800
To: Firebeard <stend+cypherpunks@sten.tivoli.com>
Subject: Re: ISP signatures on outgoing mail

On 8 Jul 1997, Firebeard wrote:

> 	But it could - it's simple firewall technology.  There's no MX
> record for sten.tivoli.com, but any incoming email to me is
> intercepted by proxy.tivoli.com, as is all other incoming traffic to
> the internal tivoli.com network on port 25.  Since 'incoming' is only
> a matter of definition, it would be trivial for an ISP to set up a
> firewall that passed all other ports through transparently, but
> redirected connections with a destination of port 25 to their own SMTP
> server.

Very much depends on how `ISP' is defined.  All my mail now comes in
via UUCP, which is another port (540, I think).  Outgoing mail goes
to another system which is run from a friend's house, and therefore
probably doesn't count as an ISP (again, UUCP).

> 	I don't want them to, and I _certainly_ don't want the
> government goons requiring ISPs to do this, but don't sit back and
> relax with the notion that 'it can't be done'.

It certainly _can_ be done.  Almost anything _can_ be done.
Whether it should (and in this case, it shouldn't!) be done is another issue.

dave

-- David E. Smith, P O Box 324, Cape Girardeau MO 63702
(573)334-0950  dave@[clas.net | linuxware.com | ml.org]
1000s of Magic:The Gathering cards 4 sale! Info on req.
HWG Dilbert crypto Millennium Linux YDKJ PGP single! ;)

Thread