1997-08-29 - Snuffle Snuffed

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 536b1ff12abc2981dd3f2f754c945a4a76bdc713111a0d755106d69eb5749100
Message ID: <1.5.4.32.19970829114522.00737c10@pop.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 20:02:29 +0800

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 20:02:29 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Snuffle Snuffed

For those not on the cypherpunks@toad list, there have been
a few messages on the Bernstein decision which seem not to
have been forwarded to the other lists, apparently because they
were sent directly by "bernstein-announce@toad.com."

We've put them on our site and can be browsed at:

   http://jya.com/crypto.htm

The latest last night from Bernstein's attorney is that the USG
has gotten a stay from Patel's on her August 25 decision (see
PGP Inc. message below). The stay removes protections from
those who may have posted Snuffle to the Web (as JYA did).

Hence, we've removed the two versions of Snuffle we had
hosted.  After, we note, DoJ and Commerce had downloaded
the evidence and our vitae. DoJ's Anthony Coppolino would
not discuss the stay when I called him at 202-514-4782.

However, we would like to offer lieu of the Snuffle files links
to offshore sites if there are any who wish to host the US national
security threats.

Adam Back posted one version here a few days back, and
Purdue has Dan's 1990 original offer to sci.crypt. For leads
to the two see:

   http://jya.com/snuffle-c.htm

   http://jya.com/snuffle-txt

Here's a the message from PGP, Inc.:

----------

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 01:06:00 -0700
To: Cindy Cohn <Cindy@mcglashan.com>
From: Bob Kohn <kohn@pgp.com>
Subject: Re: Stay issued; modified stay to follow
Cc: sadams@forbes.com, telstar@wired.com, plotnikoff@aol.com,
        Ewasserman@sjmercury.com, dang@cnet.com, steven@echo.net,
        abate@ccnet.com, wendyg@cix.compulink.co.uk, amy@netcom.com,
        courtm@cnet.com, alan.boyle@MSNBC.COM, declan@well.com,
        sep@cbsnews.com, kenc@cwi.emap.com, arb@well.com, exp@mk.ibek.com,
        bransten@interactive.wsj.com, TomBemis@pacbell.net,
        sam.perry@reuters.com, jimevans@aol.com, ljflynn@aol.com,
        wendyl@ljx.com, bernstein-announce@toad.com
Sender: owner-cypherpunks@toad.com

Too bad.  Prof. Bernstein was perfectly positioned to become a great -- and
the only legal -- exporting reseller of PGP software.  (no, this is not off
the record)

Bob

At 06:21 PM 8/28/97 -0700, Cindy Cohn wrote:
>During a conference call with counsel today, Judge Patel issued a stay of
>the injunctive relief issued in her Opinion of August 25, 1997, effective
>until September 8.
>
> On September 8 (or sooner if we get the papers to her) the Court she will
>issue a formal Stay Pending Appeal which will stay the injunctive relief
>issued in her Opinion of August 25, 1997, except that an injunction shall be
>reinstated to prevent the prosecution of Professor Bernstein for the
>"unlicensed export" of Snuffle 5.0 (which includes Snuffle and Unsnuffle)
>and any later versions of that program which he has developed.
>
>This eliminates, at least for the meantime, the injunctive relief granted to
>Bernstein as to any other computer programs which he may have developed or
>otherwise wished to publish.  It also eliminates the protections for persons
>other than Professor Bernstein.
>
>The government has said that it may still challenge this more limited stay
>in the 9th Circuit.  Professor Bernstein may also seek relief from the stay
>from the 9th Circuit.
>
>Cindy
>************************
>Cindy A. Cohn
>McGlashan & Sarrail, P. C.
>177 Bovet Road, 6th Floor
>San Mateo, CA  94402
>(415) 341-2585 (tel)
>(415)341-1395 (fax)
>Cindy@McGlashan.com
>http://www.McGlashan.com

Robert H. Kohn
Vice President, Business Development
PRETTY GOOD PRIVACY, INC.
2121 S. El Camino Real, 9th Floor
San Mateo, California 94403
Direct: (415) 524-6220
Cellular: (415) 297-6527
Main: (415) 572-0430
Fax: (415) 572-1932
kohn@pgp.com
PGP Home Page: http://www.pgp.com
Personal Home page: http://www.kohnmusic.com/people/bkohn.html

"If all the personal computers in the world - ~260 million computers - were
put to work on a single PGP-encrypted message, it would still take an
estimated 12 million times the age of the universe, on average, to break a
single message."
 -- William Crowell, Deputy Director of the National Security Agency,
	testifying before the U.S. Congress on March 20, 1997

Thread