1997-08-09 - Re: FCPUNX:this could happen to remailers (was Re: Whining for ‘Accountability’)

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
To: Adam Back <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 6314ff634a55289c60baf4e6c30bca372802350245bb583f56bccaf0c4b77818
Message ID: <199708091737.KAA11542@proxy3.ba.best.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 02:05:21 +0800

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 02:05:21 +0800
To: Adam Back <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: FCPUNX:this could happen to remailers (was Re: Whining for 'Accountability')

At 12:40 PM 8/8/97 +0100, Adam Back wrote:
> When an incident like this happens via remailers, there will be
> similar calls for `accountability' on the net, and for `government to
> do something about the problem'.

When an incident like this happens with remailers, people will say:

"You morons, look at the headers, obviously it was bogus"

Some time ago somebody used remailers to spread what purported to
be an embarrassing political memo far and wide.

The newsmedia that picked it up were promptly and rightly ridiculed,
most of the media interpreting the disclaimer that the mail was not
from the entity that it appeared to be from as effectively an admission
"spoof:  Do not take the following seriously"

Suppose you got what purported to be a bill for dirty pictures
from a business, but the headers said "huge cajones remailer".

You would have to be a right loon to take it seriously.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com

Thread