1997-08-01 - Re: Rep. White introduces Internet Protection Act

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: “Peter Trei” <trei@process.com>
Message Hash: 7d0dad79f43eff399c435d7441fcf7408cb33fe412bb4a95ad9423ba453cab02
Message ID: <3.0.2.32.19970731094719.006f3430@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <199707311411.HAA18283@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-08-01 07:50:13 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 15:50:13 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 15:50:13 +0800
To: "Peter Trei" <trei@process.com>
Subject: Re: Rep. White introduces Internet Protection Act

At 10:12 AM 7/31/97 -6, Peter Trei wrote:
>Does the FCC charter mention photonic communications as
>well? At what point does the charter allow them to
>interfere? Here's some steps on the way...
>
>* A mime, 'working' outdoors in daylight.
>The communication is entirely by photons, and the light
>source is non-electronic. (I know that many people
>would like to see mimes suppressed for the good of
>humanity, but bear with me).

"A mime is a terrible thing to waste."

>* A mime, working by electric light.
>
>Does the fact that electricity is involved in
>creating the light make the communication
>'electronic'? I don't think so.

Electrical, perhaps; electronic, no, unless the light is using
transistors or vacuum tubes for some reason.

A mime, working under a government-funded streetlight,
which is powered by electricity obtained from interstate commerce .....
Sure, we can regulate that!  :-)

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
#   (If this is a mailing list or news, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)

Thread