1997-08-27 - Re: How tO MutAte anD TaKE OVer tHe WOrld

Header Data

From: Alan <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com>
To: luciana luciana <azwsxq@hotmail.com>
Message Hash: a883cec5870527e89b9add89754fa80fb3fe4f22eebce57e56e13852b10bc784
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.95.970827082121.19067D-100000@www.ctrl-alt-del.com>
Reply To: <19970827043758.22153.qmail@hotmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-08-27 15:35:55 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 23:35:55 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 23:35:55 +0800
To: luciana luciana <azwsxq@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: How tO MutAte anD TaKE OVer tHe WOrld

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, luciana luciana wrote:

> I'm very interested on that.
> could u let me know anything else?

I picked up a copy of the book a while back.

Some of the sidenotes and off-storyline events are interesting and mildly
humorous.  The ending was incredibly unbelievable and anti-climatic.  (The
tacked on end-of-the-end was just plain stupid.)  The main characters
spend little time involved with the revolution they claim to be bringing
about.

It does make mention of the Cypherpunks.  (One of the authors was involved
in the very beginning, but I have not seen her post here any time in my
memory.  (She claims to have coined the term "Cypherpunk".))

If you want Cyberpunk/Cypherpunk fiction, there are much better choices.
Neal Stephenson (sp?) is a good choice.  ("Snow Crash" and the short story
"Hacking the Spew" are two of my favorites from him.)

If you do get "How to mutate...", wait until it comes out in paperback.
Then you won't feel as cheated as I did when i finished the book.

alan@ctrl-alt-del.com | Note to AOL users: for a quick shortcut to reply
Alan Olsen            | to my mail, just hit the ctrl, alt and del keys.

Thread