1997-08-09 - NCash - an experimental digital cash system

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b6f74d0f1b0288b8c8456a6846d3fea17a1d051035ecede8fb01c6c0897dc78e
Message ID: <v0311070ab01222e4914b@[139.167.130.248]>
Raw Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 23:41:18 +0800

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 23:41:18 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: NCash - an experimental digital cash system

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 19:39:46 -0400
From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@harvee.billerica.ma.us>
To: rah@shipwright.com

do you know about this??  (probably :-)
--- eric

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~nisse/NCash/

harvee.billerica.ma.us id SAA25447

This corner of the WWW is devoted to information, documentation and source
for the NCash digital cash experiment. Some pointers here are links right
into my source tree, so don't be surprised if you find inconsistencies or
bugs.

NCash is my Master's project at the Linköping Institute of Technology. The
idea is to design and implement an bare-bones off-line digital cash system,
meeting rather high standards for security and privacy. And then try it out
in the Real World. For simplicity, NCash will be software only, with both
servers and clients running on Unix-like machines.

The cash system being implemented follows the ideas of Stefan Brands'
rather closely, in particular the system described in his 'An efficient
off-line electronic cash system based on the representation problem'.

An excellent introduction to digital cash and related matters are David
Chaum's articles 'Achieving Electronic Privacy' and 'Security Without
Identification: Transaction Systems to Make Big Brother Obsolete', written
1992 and 1985 respectively.

I'm running a mailing list for discussion of the NCash project. The list is
mainly for the persons more or less involved in the project, i.e. me, my
supervisor, other people who have offered help, volunteers who wish to try
out the system when time comes, and some friends and other interested
people. The main language on the list is Swedish.

is <ncash-request@lysator.liu.se>. There's also an
<http://www.lysator.liu.se/~nisse/NCash/ncash-arkiv>archive.

Ahttp://www.lysator.liu.se/~nisse/NCash/s the design and implementation
proceeds, I try to keep up with documenting NCash. If you dare, look at the
latest snapshot as of August 6th. Also available as
<http://www.lysator.liu.se/~nisse/NCash/NCash.ps>postscript

The <http://www.lysator.liu.se/~nisse/NCash/source.html>source code will
mostly be written in the Pike language, and will probably be released under
the GNU General Public License, but it's not ready yet for some time.

The server will probably run on a <http://www.linux.org>Linux machine that
the mathematics department has kindly given me access to.

  Last modified: Wed May 21 02:53:29 MET DST 1997   Niels Möller
<nisse@lysator.liu.se>

--- end forwarded text

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com), Philodox
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
The e$ Home Page: http://www.shipwright.com/

Thread