1997-08-26 - Re: Commerce Department encryption rules declared unconstitutional

Header Data

From: Jonathan Wienke <JonWienk@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ce5461917414c981da4f8e3d2e6efc33b33172797d46e02a8291e64eeabbc7e3
Message ID: <3.0.3.32.19970825235313.006d8f0c@popd.netcruiser>
Reply To: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970825193946.14163C-100000@well.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-08-26 06:57:48 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 23:57:48 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Jonathan Wienke <JonWienk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 23:57:48 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Commerce Department encryption rules declared unconstitutional

--Boundary..3980.1071713728.multipart/signed

At 07:39 PM 8/25/97 -0700, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>A Federal judge in San Francisco ruled today that the Commerce
>Department's export controls on encryption products violate the
>First Amendment's guarantees of freedom of speech.
>
>In a 35-page decision, U.S. District Judge Marilyn Patel said the
>Clinton administration's rules violate "the First Amendment on the
>grounds of prior restraint and are, therefore, unconstitutional."
>Patel reaffirmed her December 1996 decision against the State
>Department regulations, saying that the newer Commerce Department
>rules suffer from similar constitutional infirmities.
>
>Patel barred the government from "threatening, detaining,
>prosecuting, discouraging, or otherwise interfering with" anyone
>"who uses, discusses, or publishes or seeks to use, discuss or
>publish plaintiff's encryption programs and related materials."
>Daniel Bernstein, now a math professor at the University of
>Illinois, filed the lawsuit with the help of the Electronic
>Frontier Foundation.

So if someone posts a few lines of source code to coderpunks, the
government reserves the right to prosecute, unless the poster's name is
Daniel Bernstein, and the algorithm is Snuffle 5.0.  The judge seems to be
saying "I think Bernstein's case has merit, so I will order the government
to stop hassling him, but since I am too chickenbleep to challenge the
unconstitutional usurpation of power on the part of Clinton, Congress, the
State Dept., and the Dept. of Commerce, I will pass the buck and let the
issue be decided on appeal."  The decision seems to be a step in the right
direction, but a VERY small one.

Jonathan Wienke

What part of "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be
infringed" is too hard to understand? (From 2nd Amendment, U.S. Constitution)

When everyone is armed, criminals fear everyone, not just the police.

PGP 2.6.2 RSA Key Fingerprint: 7484 2FB7 7588 ACD1  3A8F 778A 7407 2928
DSS/D-H Key Fingerprint: 3312 6597 8258 9A9E D9FA  4878 C245 D245 EAA7 0DCC
Public keys available at pgpkeys.mit.edu. PGP encrypted e-mail preferred.

US/Canadian Windows 95/NT or Mac users:
Get Eudora Light + PGP 5.0 for free at http://www.eudora.com/eudoralight/
Get PGP 5.0 for free at http://bs.mit.edu:8001/pgp-form.html
Commercial version of PGP 5.0 and related products at http://www.pgp.com
Eudora Light + PGP = Free, Convenient Communication Privacy

--Boundary..3980.1071713728.multipart/signed

LS0tLS1CRUdJTiBQR1AgU0lHTkFUVVJFLS0tLS0KVmVyc2lvbjogUEdQIGZv
ciBQZXJzb25hbCBQcml2YWN5IDUuMApNZXNzYWdlSUQ6IGlodVpiNDc3eFFI
eUZYTE1lN3NINkEyZlYzdm01QzQ4CgppUUEvQXdVQk5BSjlxOEpGMGtYcXB3
M01FUUxvTHdDZmZIVEk0UzFMdTdyOGErTHpTYTE3QzNRZVkwMEFuaTNVCndJ
MFEzQnU2cjc1cHdMYWxtTy8yZkhLMAo9cWNFMAotLS0tLUVORCBQR1AgU0lH
TkFUVVJFLS0tLS0K
--Boundary..3980.1071713728.multipart/signed--

Thread