1997-08-17 - Re: Comments on PGP5.0 OCR (was Re: fyi, pgp source now available , internationally)

Header Data

From: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
To: Alan <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com>
Message Hash: e3dfcf8ec3b66f8ecd2259ab537bffaf996849dd743a3d57ed6a9a193fb11640
Message ID: <3.0.2.32.19970817131546.006e100c@netcom10.netcom.com>
Reply To: <3.0.2.32.19970817120702.006fa20c@popd.ix.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-08-17 20:27:17 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 04:27:17 +0800

Raw message

From: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 04:27:17 +0800
To: Alan <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com>
Subject: Re: Comments on PGP5.0 OCR (was Re: fyi, pgp source now   available , internationally)

At 12:35 PM 8/17/97 -0700, Alan wrote:
>I used to work for a company that made CD-ROMs of medical journals.  These
>were proportional fonts out of magazines.  (Once in a while we would get
>the origianl article information, but that was not always assured.)  Most
>of the text would be sent to somewhere in Asia to be scanned and proofread.
> Text scanning is big business in some parts of SE Asia.  (And has for many
>years.)
>
>Goes to show you just how disconnected from the real world the White House
>and its fellow travelers have become.

I watched the attorney for the USG claim in federal court during the recent
Bernstein hearing that foreigners were incapable of retyping or scanning in
crypto source code. He stated that even retyping the source for DES was too
difficult to be done successfully.

I couldn't help but groan. Luckyly, the judge wasn't nearly as stupid as I
had feared. She knew that he was trying to snow her.

--Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
  PGP encrypted mail preferred.
  DES is dead! Please join in breaking RC5-56.
  http://rc5.distributed.net/

Thread