1997-08-02 - Re: free market services vs monopoly government

Header Data

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
To: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
Message Hash: e6ad43ccd07704ba00c163ed088bf3f1ee97a14a061f8cb5d0baf27180c241a3
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.970802152737.845A-100000@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Reply To: <19970802015614.65348@bywater.songbird.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-08-02 18:44:23 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 02:44:23 +0800

Raw message

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 02:44:23 +0800
To: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
Subject: Re: free market services vs monopoly government

> But your reasoning is this, apparently: "Kent says he doesn't believe
> it is possible for a human society to not have a government, therefore
> Kent favors big intrusive government." This kind of "reasoning" is
> rife on cypherpunks; may I suggest it is beneath you?

I don`t think this is a necessarily entirely spurious line of reasoning,
all government leads to large and intrusive government, it is the nature
of power that it corrupts and is addictive. So the statement above could
be corrected to "Kent says he doesn`t believe it is possible for a human
society to not have a government, therefore Kent favours a system which
would eventually "evolve" into big intrusive government".
Anyway, the argument over anarchism vs. minarchism comes down very much
to how you define government, if you define government as a body of
people given the power to pass laws over the citizens of that
jurisdiction, then government is indeed a bad thing per se, however, if
you define government as a loose informal set of social norms and codes
of behaviour (for a libertarian example see the NAP) then government is
indeed present in all civilised and succesful human societies, real or
conjectured.

        Datacomms Technologies data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul@crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul@cryptography.uk.eu.org