1997-08-25 - Re: BXA Meet in Portland OR

Header Data

From: Lee Tien <tien@well.com>
To: John Young <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com>
Message Hash: eb16fb253ba05a73ce5f3c349e3ebbf9a179a35896ac7c135296f8718e9b9948
Message ID: <v03007806b0279d5066c1@[163.176.132.90]>
Reply To: <1.5.4.32.19970825162207.0074b2b0@pop.pipeline.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-08-25 20:55:12 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 04:55:12 +0800

Raw message

From: Lee Tien <tien@well.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 04:55:12 +0800
To: John Young <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com>
Subject: Re: BXA Meet in Portland OR

We discussed the IEEPA issues to some extent in our briefs in Bernstein as
well, in case anyone cares.  The gov't also discussed them, opposing our
position.  I don't keep track of which briefs are on the EFF website, but I
assume they're both up now.

Lee Tien

At 8:22 AM -0800 8/25/97, John Young wrote:
[snip]

>Michael Foomkin has reviewed the legal gounds for continuing the
>"national emergency" undergirding the repeatedly extended period
>for not legislating up-to-date export regulations. To put off the fight
>to pass a new law, every August, as done a few days ago
>(http://jya.com/eo081997.txt), the presiding president issues an
>executive order under the International Emergency Economic Power Act
>(IEEPA) extending the national emergency initially declared
>during what appeared to be a genuine national threat decades ago.
>
>It is these series of orders that legalize the EARs, and a lot more,
>so I read, beyond our decryption of the state/mil/com multi-level DMS.
>
>See Michael's site for more on IEEPA and much more A-1 crypto-legal
>stuff at:
>
>   http://www.law.miami.edu/~froomkin/froomkin.html

Thread