1997-08-10 - Cypherpunks and Unbreakable Crypto…Terrorists?

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: eec09fef6a095f54e9b062594d6c5ab702483efff5ad7e6766d0333f8083c3d1
Message ID: <v03102800b012e0293939@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <199708100106.SAA22881@sirius.infonex.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-08-10 03:40:18 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 11:40:18 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 11:40:18 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Cypherpunks and Unbreakable Crypto...Terrorists?

[WARNING: This posts contains opinions and recommendations for action
forbidden under the Anti-Terrorism Act of 1995.]

Yep, these are a lot of the things I've become a felon for. Funny thing,
none of these things are "crimes" against my neighbors in any reasonable or
common sense way. None of these felonies involve killing my neighbors,
stealing what is theirs from them, raping their daughters, or even
trespassing on their land. The crimes are against some nebulous, Big
Brotherish sense of "standards.

At 7:02 PM -0700 8/9/97, WinSock Remailer wrote:
>LAND-MINE LEGISLATION
>
>by Claire Wolfe
>
>Let me run by you a brief list of items that are "the law" in
>America today.  As you read, consider what all these have in
>common.
>
>1.  A national database of employed people.

I'm not in this database, and every year I pick a different "occupation" on
my IRS forms. So far, I've not been contacted by the TP on this one.

>2.  100 pages of new "health care crimes," for which the penalty
>is (among other things) seizure of assets from both doctors and
>patients.

I plead nolo contendre on this one.

>4.  The largest gun confiscation in U. S. history--which is also
>an unconstitutional ex post facto law and the first law ever to
>remove people's constitutional rights for committing a
>misdemeanor.

I'm a major felon in Kalifornia on this one, though they haven't charged me
yet. Talk about ex post facto...the law requires that I provide proof about
the dispostion of AR-15s, Valmets, and other assorted "assault rifles" that
I bought and sold (and maybe cached in safe places) years ago. I'm a felon
for not having gotten forms filled out in 1980 that weren't mandated at the
time! Like most others who bought such guns, my attitude has been "Fuck
you. Trespass on my property and I shoot to kill."

(And there's still a flourishing market in black market guns. The Feds have
no justification for gun registration, waiting periods, etc.)

>5.  A law banning guns in ill-defined school zones; random
>roadblocks may be used for enforcement; gun-bearing residents
>could become federal criminals just by stepping outside their
>doors or getting into vehicles.

Yeah, like the guy stopped for speeding as he entered the magic "1000
yards" range of a school--at night, no less. The cops searched his car,
found a gun, and charged him under this new felony provision of the gun
laws.

(And they have the nerve to wonder why McVeigh said "Enough!!!")

>7.  A law enabling the executive branch to declare various groups
>"terrorist"--without stating any reason and without the
>possibility of appeal.  Once a group has been so declared, its
>mailing and membership lists must be turned over to the
>government.

Under the Anti-Terrorism Act of 1995, several groups I am linked to are
probably "terrorist" groups. Even donating time or money to groups
interested in the destruction of the illegal Zionist Entity meets this
criterion.

( I have nothing against Jews. Kind of a funny religion, with the silly
hair and all. But harmless. However, the notion that Jews born in Europe
and having European ancestors for 300 or 500 or whatever years, and
"native" ancestors, too, could consult their "Book" and conclude that Arabs
and Palestinians with actual title and possession to land in Haifa,
Jerusalem, etc.  could and should be kicked off and told to go live in
refugee tents in the desert...well, the State of Israel must be destroyed,
and I am proud that unbreakable crypto is helping the "terrorists"
accomplish this. Under Klinton's laws, this makes my support of Cypherpunks
actions a "terrorist act." Read the law.)

>10.  And my personal favorite--a national database, now being
>constructed, that will contain every exchange and observation
>that takes place in your doctor's office.  This includes records
>of your prescriptions, your hemorrhoids and your mental illness.
>It also includes--by law--any statements you  make ("Doc, I'm
>worried my kid may be on drugs," "Doc, I've been so stressed out
>lately I feel about ready to go postal.") and any observations
>your doctor makes about your mental or physical condition,
>whether accurate or not, whether made with your knowledge or not.
>For the time being, there will be zero (count  em, zero) privacy
>safeguards on this data.  But don't worry, your government will
>protect you with some undefined "privacy standards" in a few
>years.

Like the guy who had his guns taken away because his psychiatrist decided
he was a "threat" of some sort....and he was only seeing the shrink because
the courts ordered it as part of a "mediation process" in a divorce case.

Shades of the U.S.S.R. and its psychiatric hospitals. "Anyone who believes
the government is out to get him is obviously delusional...he cannot be
allowed to own weapons of any sort."

A nice racket, eh? No doubt Jefferson and the other Founders would be
interested to learn that the State had figured out a way to disarm anyone
who might ever be a threat to their actions. So much for Jefferson's
revolution every 20 years.

>All of the above items are the law of the land.  Federal law.
>What else do they have in common?
>
>Well, when I ask this question to audiences, I usually get the
>answer, "They're all unconstitutional."

Yep. So what else is nu?

(Nu...E over h...the defining equation of the fireball which will take out
these statists in Washington, Tel Aviv, and the other fascist imperial
capitals.)

--Tim May