1997-08-09 - Book recommendation

Header Data

From: Jim Choate <ravage@ssz.com>
To: cypherpunks@ssz.com (Cypherpunks Distributed Remailer)
Message Hash: fbdfb585352817be3013ba02afdea8cf7711f30d9e1c51a013bec734350c3a58
Message ID: <199708090155.UAA12755@einstein.ssz.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 10:05:13 +0800

Raw message

From: Jim Choate <ravage@ssz.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 10:05:13 +0800
To: cypherpunks@ssz.com (Cypherpunks Distributed Remailer)
Subject: Book recommendation

Hi,

Not really crypto relevant but it does cover many other issues that get
covered here regularly.

Maximum Security: A hacker's guide to protecting your internet site
                  and network
Anonymous
ISBN 1-57521-268-4
$49.99 (w/ CD)

Covers Microsoft, Unix, Novell, VAX/VMS, Mac, Plan 9 hacking techniques.

"The author is an experienced computer hacker who now specializes in testing
the security of various networking platforms by breaking into computer
networks and subsequently revealing what holes led to the unauthorized
entry. In the late 1980's, the author was convicted of a series of financial
crimes after developing a technique to circumvent bank security in automatic
teller machin systems; he therefore prefers to remain anonymous."

LLoyds' (The Mentor) "Hacker Manifesto" is included on the inside cover.

   |          Participation requires more than just bitching!           |
   |        /:'///// ``::>/|/                     http:// www.ssz.com/  |
   |                                                 ravage@ssz.com     |

ps it just occurred to me that being written by anonymous will cause this
   book to show up in lots of porno books on a author search, poetic
   justice or masterful craftsmanship?

Thread